Smart meters finally fitted.

First chap left having done nothing. Muttered about needing a second person to help with changing the gas meter as it was in an awkward location. (Why I wanted a smart one, as awkward to read too)

Not enough space for the electric one either, he said. Present one (quite modern LCD display) sandwiched between the CU and alarm panel.

Second chap arrives after booking it again.

Splits the new meter into two bits with a link cable between them. Meter part - that the tails go into - near identical in height to the old meter, so absolutely no problem. Second part fitted alongside the alarm panel.

He did some alterations to the gas pipework. Sort of extended the pipework on my side to fit the new. Ended up looking better than the old meter - which actually wasn't that old either.

But.

The IHD only shows gas, not electric. And the cost per unit rather obviously wrong - way below current costs.

I'm told it will eventually be 'programmed' remotely. But how long before this happens? Do i try and chase up my supplier or SMS?

Other thing is I can't read the electric meter LCD display without a torch. Old one in exactly the same place perfectly visible. Is that a fault, or just terrible design?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Because of owning two holiday lets with gas and electricity we have six metres. | had to have them replaced to allow for an electric car charger (power requirements). In the last year every one of them has had to be replaced because of failure. I am currently fighting a battle with my supplier about one of the gas bills, which they estimated over five months, offerred me a credit and then promptly debited me for the same amount on my next bill. Still an ongoing struggle a month later. They are hard to write to and the telephone service is rubbish. Two of the meters are not working again.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Provisioning data should be supplied to it. Give it a couple of weeks before chasing your supplier, as it may be in a daily or weekly drop.

It may just be a variation in the display they use. Usually there's a backlight that can be triggered by pressing a button on the unit, which turns off after a while.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The remote display for my two meters read both within a couple of hours.

Displaying the correct tariff was different matter and that happened within the week. BUT when the tariff changed it took 6 weeks to get the correct charges - but only after a few emails to my supplier.

Does one of the buttons on the meter turn on a backlight?

Reply to
alan_m

Maybe the polarizer within the display is in a different orientation, or designed for looking down at the meter, but you're looking up?

My battery powered gas-meter has a backlight, the mains powered electricity meter doesn't.

Reply to
Andy Burns

OK. A local mate who had his done recently said they worked properly within 48 hours.

Would you normally need a backlight for something in a reasonably bright location?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes it does - thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

why would you want a smart meter ?

Reply to
Ponyface

I cannot talk about gas, as I don't have any, but the Electric the guy rang a number and it was set up to read every half hour and the display is talking via wireless continuously, and speaking as well though that can be turned off. I've not set a budget, but it does reflect the display after about an hour or so to re align the tariff you are on so the cost and kilowatt hours look right. It changes during the economy 7 hours for me, but does not bleep or anything you just hear the p per has changed that is all. You can read the meter readings, and the second meter stuff just shows a fault code, so I'd imagine that would be what might trigger gas, but I've no way of knowing obviously. There do seem to be some unused functions like Wifi and some others which in the tech bits show up as fault codes. Not terribly user friendly in some parts. I think in their quest to keep it simple some things that would have been handy are not implemented on the system. It handy though to see the summary for hours days months, and I would also suggest that if you have a smart phone, you get your suppliers app, as it can act as a confidence builder that your display is not telling porkies. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why shouldn't he? One of these days there will be no choice and smart meters will be the default when meters are routinely changed.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

The answer is at the start of my post. The gas one awkward to read. Mounted sideways in the coal cellar. So you have to lean over to read it

- and need a torch. And likely get muck on your clothes when doing so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It should read the electricity - give it a day or so to find its feet maybe. I wouldn't hold your breath on cost info - mine's been in some years and is still incorrect, with no way I can see of manually entering data.

Mine's got a backlight, but quite a small display, and requires scrolling through quite a few itmes before arriving at the reading. And even then it's called something odd like 'import'.

Reply to
RJH

Pretty much my reasoning - but the IHD won't reach even the floor above so I have to go down in the cellar anyway . . .

That said, the apps (Hugo and Bright IIRC) do give an update after a day or so time delay.

Reply to
RJH

You possibly have to search on line for a more complete manual. Unfortunately many different popular meters all have the "E470" model number including both SMETS1 and SMETS2 variants

Reply to
alan_m

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

So, an exchange of control for convenience? Your supplier now has the ability to remotely disconnect your supply together with information allowing variable charging in half hour blocks. A cynic might consider this useful in providing leverage to shift load and balance capacity. So far unmentioned in the encouragement to adopt smart metering!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I don't think so. I think smart meters, electric cars, heat pumps, grid scale batteries, hydrogen cars, rooftop solar panels and solar farms will be joining windmills in the museum in due course.

When we have an all nuclear grid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think when meters come due for replacement, the supplier can fit a smart meter whether you want one or not.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But for how much longer?

The whole renewable energy scan is unravelling.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So far, if you ring up instead of following the web link that they send for organising the appointment for a meter swap, you can tell them that you want a dumb meter and they do actually fit one. How long that will last, I don't know.

Reply to
SteveW