Shortages and rationing

:-)

Reply to
Andrew

"potato 1.03 million tonnes (lots of seed potatoe) carrots 231,000 tonnes <=== Jim, eat yer carrots turnips 64,000 tonnes peas 34,000 tonnes strawberries 25,000 tonnes Brussels 14,000 tonnes raspberries 2,900 tonnes

Other vegetables such as peas, beans and turnips are also grown, sometimes for animal feed and sometimes for human consumption.

Some farmers also grow other vegetables such as cabbages, leeks, broccoli, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts. "

*******

Picture of mushrooms. Since it needs a building, that limits the output.

I had a mushroom facility five minutes drive from the house, but they didn't sell retail or roadside. But they did sell bagged mushroom compost.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

oh right...tee hee

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

We haven't. We've recovered it. It's control we (hope to) take back.

Reply to
Max Demian

WE should just declare war on France!

there is plenty of british grown food, if only the supermarkets would buy british not french/spanish/italian vegetables and supplies.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

When you make a mutual agreement with anyone (unless they are a total fool) you give up a degree of control.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Is that what you mean by 'taking back control? Control what vegetables etc the UK public can buy?

The UK isn't self sufficient. It exists in its current form by trading with others - goods and services.

If everyone world wide decided only to buy locally produced goods, etc, we'd be in a worse mess than now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It's all very well for you foreigners to say that. Unlike we Brits you won't have to endure the impending train crash that brexit will be.

Reply to
R Souls

Im a brit. I live here. I will be delighted with a no deal exit. You will be surprised at events if you actually open your eyes, but I suspect you will keep them tight shut. There is a limit to how far the 27 will let the EU cut *their* noses off to spite *Britain's* face. Remember, Europe is realising that people in the Union may suffer, but never the people who have usurped authority. The unsackable Brussels bureaucrats and their gold plated pensions.

They are currently tolerated, but for how much longer?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That "mutual agreement" was our membership of the EU.

Reply to
Max Demian

I would have it first, and save the apple for desert...

Not to mention many days of sustenance from the rabbit, with a nice high nutrient density (one of the highest percentages of protein of all meats). Lean but also rich in B3 and B12. Stays fresh for extended periods without refrigeration as well. And when you are done, some nice fur mitts to keep you hands warm. The less palatable bits can be used for fishing bait. There is very little wasted in a rabbit.

If you have some breading rabbits, even better - they reproduce fast and help harvest nutrients from the flora of the island without needing organised agriculture. They are easy to keep and survive in a good range of temperatures.

As a bonus you get 4 lucky rabbit feet per rabbit... (although its fair to say at that point they did not work so well for bunnykins).

Reply to
John Rumm

You is a naughty boy and are due for an education about yer brain and other things.

Reply to
Richard
<snip>
<snip>

Would you though? If you weren't brought up in a culture where animals were seen as food, what would make you think they were edible?

With no fire (knowledge of or the means to make one), how would you process it to even make it consumable?

This is my point, if 'most people' see an injured animal or one in distress they will generally do all they can to help. Releasing it from being caught and / or taking it to a vet / rescue to ensure it gets treatment (as we did recently with a goose with a leg that was about to drop off because of fishing line).

The cognitive dissonance would be after rescuing said animal, people would go and tuck into the remains of another animal that would have suffered at some point?

Animals who wouldn't generally be here (or exist as a sub species)

*naturally*, they are only here because of *artificial* insemination.

Farmed Turkeys are probably not alone in being a farmed animal (even the terms now disgusts me) unable to breed naturally, because of how much we have mutated them for our own needs.

So, killing anything should only ever be done out of necessity, kill of be killed, self defence (when that is the only assured solution), ... or survival and the latter doesn't apply to the vast majority re animals and food in 2020.

This (98 year old) sums most of it up:

I get though why you would try to defend the idea of seeing (a restricted sub set of all species of) animals as food, because that's both how you were brought up and you say you have relatives who earn their livelihoods off the exploitation of other creatures (as I and millions of others would see it).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On yer island, there is a child with an apple and a rabbit. Both the rabbit and child will be dead pretty soon without some fresh water anyway. I'm betting on the rabbit eating the child if the child is too stupid to eat the rabbit. Is this child a vegan by any chance?

He died two years ago ;(

Richard

Foxes are capable of living 20 years, but their average life span appears to be about five.

Given that foxes aren't bred for meat and so have no profit motive associated with that, where do you suspect their 'long and natural life' might come from, as 'nature' doesn't seem to be doing them much good at all.

Reply to
Spike

The fact that they get eaten by predators might have something to do with it.

Reply to
Spike

Probably when your family were starving.

That is the point, man discovered fire.

A short-sighter approach. In many instances it would be more kind to instantly end the suffering.

Only by someone who is trying to make a pointless point. Given your history of a uncaring attitude towards animal welfare this is doubtful.

You may well suffer cognitive dissonance, as I'm sure you do every time you feed your dogs a cruel diet.

Quite, if you deem it necessary to have a natural balanced diet then meat products are a necessity.

Reply to
Fredxx

So a Brexit supporter.

Why? In nature the life expectancy of most animals is very short. Look at pigs. How many litters, and how many piglets, would a sou have in her lifetime?

You are aware to maintain numbers only one is required to live to maturity.

Lives were typically naturally very short.

Reply to
Fredxx

Really? That's brilliant news!!

Now, where can I get my bit of sovereignty, how much will it cost and will it fit in the boot of my car?

Reply to
R Souls

Ossies do big bunnies

Andrew