Couch Shortages?

This article says there is a shortage of foam that goes into couches, chairs, etc. Part of the problem is the storms that hit Texas last winter.

Dean Hoffman

Yes, true. I bought a recliner end or April and was told delivery was July, now it is August.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Our couch took only 3 months, but my recliner is on track for at least 5.

However, we are waiting on a couple of replacement legs - wooden - it's taken over a month so far and they can't give me a date. I could make them myself in an afternoon.

My son is shopping now. He is hearing time frames like 5 months for a couch also.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Finally decided to get some decent furniture for the first time in my life. Was told six - eight weeks.

Arrived in exactly six.

Stuff we had was bonded leather. Word to the wise: Don't even think about it.

Reply to
philo

Massive shortages of MOST manufactured goods either now or coming.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

"Bonded leather" is the scraps from the leather cutting floor ground up and mixed with binders of questionable quality, then finished with a layer of polyurethanr coloured and pressed to have the appearance of leather. You are much farther ahead with supported vinyl like "naugahyde'

Reply to
Clare Snyder

We went with real leather this time. Bonded stuff started cracking badly after five years or so.

Probably one of the worst ideas in furniture.

Reply to
philo

Yes they are. Last August we bought a refrigerator. Suppose to be stainless steel. As of July it is still in the pipeling. So we settled on a white one like it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 23:41:06 +0000, philo posted for all of us to digest...

Oh yeah, I had my own experience with that crap. When it fails it is spectacular. More flakes than Head & Shoulders can cure in a lifetime. The glue must have some failure time-line built in...

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 20:44:27 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

Yup, I was a victim of the floor sweeping too. Never again. I always wanted to know how that crap was made and you explained it. Binders of questionable quality is being kind to them.

Next question what is "Pleather" - remember that stuff?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 20:42:04 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

I think it's happening now. What do you attribute this to? Not trolling...

Reply to
Tekkie©

Update: I called on the replacement legs for my couch. I was told that it typically takes 6 weeks to get legs. I'm only 4 weeks in, so things are supposedly still on schedule. I say "supposedly" because the rep said "We can't tell you if there will any further delay until the 6 weeks is up. We don't really know when they will be coming in, we'll only know their status when they are actually here."

In other words, as soon as they are late, they'll be able to tell me that they are late.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I had a pair of Corfam dress shoes around 1970. That was a massive fail for DuPont and only lasted 7 years before they sold the process to the Poles. They breathed like the rubber hunting boots I wore as a kid; i.e. not at all.

Reply to
rbowman

As soon as I (and a whole bunch of other people) got out of boot camp, it was straight to the PX for a pair of Corfams. You actually had to show your orders - proving that you had "graduated" - to be allowed to buy them.

No more spit polishing. Corfams rule!

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:34:40 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson posted for all of us to digest...

Yup, I am having the same experience. It's all over the place. Can't get car parts and so on.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 19:24:13 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

I remember Corfam... Don't remember if I ever had anything built with that stuff...

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 19:50:54 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson posted for all of us to digest...

You had no problems? Maybe boot camp "initialized" you for them. :-)

Reply to
Tekkie©

They're shiny...

I just got a pair of Rocky boots that were on sale at LA Police Gear. They say they're full grain leather but they're sort of shiny. I don't trust shiny.

Reply to
rbowman

Or perhaps I spent more time in boots doing actual work instead of dressing up all fancy in shiny shoes.

No, they didn't bother me when I wore them for the length of time it took for them to pin a ribbon on my uniform or other such ceremonies, both joyous and sorrowful.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 06:41:42 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson posted for all of us to digest...

I understand.

Reply to
Tekkie©