Panic buying

Are you volunteering? To be shot, that is?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

It is becoming serious, there is no tonic water left anywhere hereabouts, what to do! On a serious note why are all the pharmacies heaving? what are the doctors doing to write so many prescriptions?

Reply to
Broadback

Try reading the Panic buyers thread :-)

Reply to
Scott

It is becoming serious, there is no tonic water left anywhere hereabouts, what to do! On a serious note why are all the pharmacies heaving? what are the doctors doing to write so many prescriptions?

Reply to
Broadback

Should supermarkets urgently drop the Multipacks? Supermarkets that are trying to limit sales treat a multipack as a single item.

But: Consider a delivery of 2,000 toilet rolls (perhaps a lorry load)

As a 24 pack Multipack, (good for cashflow) this will satisfy 83 customers.

As a 12 pack it would satisfy 166 customers

As a twin pack it would satisfy 1,000 customers.

A big difference in keeping the product available.

Reply to
John

Yes, they should.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Perhaps you can't do sums: 2k rolls is less than 13 on a side. A pallet, not a lorry.

Reply to
Tim Streater

How do they do that, when that's what they have in the warehouse?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Winter colds are being confused for Covid.

what are the

I think over the last decade or so; stock manufacturing, ordering and distribution has had much input from computer modelling, forecasting trends, Christmas, Easter that sort of thing - witness so many Easter Eggs on the shelves.

They have been caught with the pants down, the AI machine needs to be reset, and when folks see with confidence that essentials are indeed available, then things will calm down, and the machines will learn new trends.

I see the shops are hiring extra staff. That's good.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Is a bag of potatoes a "multipack"?

Reply to
charles

Not noticed that around here, despite doctors locking the doors to their surgeries and only admitting people with a prior appointment.

Reply to
nightjar

In the case of toilet roll or peppers, open the multipack and put the individual items out, any 2 for £1.

I agree it's harder to subdivide 3kg of pasta, and some multipacks of drinks etc are marked to not be resold separately.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No wine gums in Sainsburys.

Doesn't tonic water contain tiny amounts of quinine ?. Bound to cure covid-19

Reply to
Andrew

What's a bag of potatoes ?. Haven't seen them in the shops for over a week. Nor leeks, carrots, brocolli, kale,...

Reply to
Andrew

I got two tins of soup today :-)

Aldi had veg, but this is Scotland.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Bet the booze has all been bought though :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Look for a farm shop that sells them by the sack.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well boots are saying they want people to get their prescriptions online delivered by royal mail. This begs the question, how safe is mail delivered, are mail people in the essential worker category? Personally, I doubt very much if there would be anything on a letter or package, since its not been handled enough WE do have to fight paranoia, as eventually everyone will have to get this virus, but the trick is to keep the infection rate manageable so those who the nhs can save have the best chance.

I guess if we all just calmed down, thought it all through and did not do silly things, then there would be no problem with the rate of cases with complications rising beyond that which is capable with. Like I say how to infect those who are unlikely to show severe reactions only is going to be hard. I believe the gov is going to attempt sending those it considers at risk a warning letter, but this then risks a kind of leper mentality of you are not careful, concentration camps of the vulnerable? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Most of the local pharmacy delivery vans won't drop medicines off to neighbours if the proper recipient isn't at home, what's the postie going to do, presumably they won't be identifiable as medicines from the outside?

Reply to
Andy Burns

They have to follow Royal Mail rules which say any human at the delivery address can sign them. Anyway, the postal staff are signing them themselves these days.

Reply to
Roger Hayter