Panic buying

The efficiencies of privatisation.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

While the supermarkets are doing a good job, I do question why they are still restocking alcohol. Surely the vehicle and shelf space could be put to better use.

Reply to
Brian Reay

No, it is a new isolation rule - though previously the rural post people would occasionally do this as a favour. Especially if they had just passed you on the road.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I think you will find that at present the bottle necks are in supply rather than transport.

That will change if/when HGV drivers stop working.

Reply to
Robin

But then you would have to abandon social isolation and go back into the crowded supermarket to buy another one eighth sheet of toilet paper every time you had a shit. I cannot see what is wrong with a damp cloth for wiping you bum and washing it out each time. Those flushable wet wipes are indestructible and so will survive multiple washing machine cycles.

Reply to
alan_m

There shops say otherwise- warehouses are fine. People buying more than they could possibly need is the problem.

The government needs to step in and shoot a few.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I had to purchase what was available from a choice of one on the shelf, a 4 pack of 2 ply toilet tissue. The quality is truly crap. Its so thin to be almost transparent. I do hope someone purchased it in bulk and now is discovering the same thing.

Beware large stocks of coffee on sale on the shelves - its probably all decaffeinated (with the word decaf in very small print)

Reply to
alan_m

It must be very regional about what is still on shelves. Fresh vegetables, fruit (of all kinds including Spanish strawberries etc.) and fresh meat have a been plentiful where I've been shopping. Everything else has been taken except for ice cream, fresh milk type products and alcohol.

Reply to
alan_m

It a depends on how it is being distributed. Drinks companies make their own deliveries direct to large (and small) outlets and separate from the food deliveries from a central warehouse.

Reply to
alan_m

So how much does your household require for a 2 week isolation period, or a 12 week isolation period if you are in the vulnerable group, or maybe for a 4 week lock-down?

Reply to
alan_m

Pharmacies around my way are one out one in with queues on pavements outside.

I would guess that many people are asking for early repeat prescriptions before any self imposed isolation.

Reply to
alan_m

During this period a postman can sign for the package if he has seen the recipient. I have been told that they place the package on the doorstep, ring the bell and stand back at least 2 metres and wait for the recipient to answer.

Unofficially a postie will deliver post to a neighbour but probably in areas where you have a regular postman and he has some idea of how long you and your neighbours have been around.

I don't know if it was a trial or still a scheme but some time ago you could sign a form telling royal mail that they could deliver your mail to a next door neighbour if you were out.

I wonder what roya mail are going to put in place for collection after the "you were out or the mail too big for letterbox" cards.

Reply to
alan_m

Well, we wont be out will we? We will be at home, self isolating...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Signing for a package can mean absolutely nothing. My signature on those electronic pads might as well be a X and some delivery drivers (not necessarily royal mail) don't ask for the recipients name but just copy the name on the package address label into their pads.

Reply to
alan_m

I know of one Co-op which is selling toilet paper in single rolls, unwrapped, 49p each.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

This morning, was very impressed at local Aldi - fruit and veg apparently in abundance. Well, more than usual on a Sunday morning. Might well still sell out.

Even got a bottle of wine that we had been going to order online - but was sold out on website.

Nothing we went to buy was out of, nor even low, stock.

Unlike recently, only three of seven checkouts were open, and were sufficient.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Our (fairly new) local Aldi was the same yesterday (Saturday), a few things sold out but lots of meat, veg and other such things.

Reply to
Chris Green

So they say but they've had long enough to sort it out by now. They're so tuned to just in time deliveries and stock control that they can't change it when demand suddenly ramps up unexpectedly. Xmas of course is predictable.

Reply to
bert

In article <r577c0$329$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Enough? Only needs to be handled once by a hand with virus on it. This is a highly contagious little bastard, far more so than normal flu.

Reply to
bert

You're beginning to sound like a swivel-eyed loon.

Reply to
Spike