Watering house plants with tonic water

I just found my wife giving some of our plants a drink of tonic water, she swears blind that it is good for them, I have no idea if it is or not. The only thought that I had was that they like to take in CO2 from the air and convert it to O, so can they do the same via their roots?

Any thoughts welcome.

PS, it was 2 years out of date, so she is not completely do-lally. (she asked me to add that bit as she did not wish to throw it down the sink!)

Reply to
Bill

bottled acid rain with a bitter taste.

Reply to
dennis

Quinine will stop them getting malaria or cramp ;-)

Reply to
Part Timer

..But the sugar will play merry hell with their Type 2 Diabetes

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

You could ask on uk.rec.gardening or read some of the items here:

Chris Hogg

Erm, old co2? I can only think that as the co2 leaches out it rises past the leaves and it increases the co2 for a short time. What other ingredients are there in tonic water other than water?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ingredients: Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Quinine, Natural Flavors

Reply to
Adrian

Sugar, carbon dioxide, and quinine, in order of weight, and probably a load of other E numbers if it's made by a cheapie maker. Sugar used to be recommended as a way of prolonging the life of cut flowers in a vase.

Reply to
John Williamson

So more akin to an embalming fluid than a health drink ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

bit of sweetener, bit of quinine. Nothing to bother plants id have thought.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I made the mistake of assuming some tins of Schweppes Tonic Water in my mother's house were in date. One mouthful proved very much otherwise; they were a year or so out of the Use by Date, and had clearly deteriorated noticeably.

Reply to
robgraham

In message , robgraham writes

Obviously too little gin :-)

Reply to
News

Medicinal, certainly. It was first made in the days when the British Empire was very well established in malaria zones. The quinine was used as an anti-malarial medication, but is so bitter that sugar is needed to make it palatable.

Reply to
John Williamson

and lacing it with gin made it socially acceptable

the same principle as grog

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was just trying to get my head around what ages or goes out of date in a sealed bottle of Tonic water. None of those ingredients should go off so to speak. brain

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's a little like seeing a "Best Before" date on a bottle of water extolling the virtues of being filter over "millions of years" through the rock.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is there however not some chance that the ingredients will interact with each other?

Reply to
Tim Streater

The problm with plastic bottles of mineral water is that the plasticisers leach into the water over time, and after the "Use by" date, may be at a higher than legally permitted concentration.

Reply to
John Williamson

Ah. Does that mean that one should not re-use such bottles, or does such leaching stop after a while, or would the cessation of such leaching only be because the bottle is about to crumble to dust?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've also noticed that the CO2 in sparkling mineral water gets lost over time - presumably because the plastic is slightly permeable, since I've not noticed the same effect when glass bottles are used...

Reply to
docholliday93