Cross-country move with plants?

I am moving from the San Francisco area to Chicago next month, and I have a few potted plants that I would like to take with me. I am not going to drive, so carrying them is not an option.

Does anybody know about a service that will transport small numbers of plants at a reasonable price?

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

Reply to
Jonathan Sachs

I sent some of my favorites with the furniture in the moving van (commercial) from west to east coast. I was not confident of survival, but several, well-watered and surrounded (not on top) with cardboard 'cages' made it.

You can FedEx them, but best check on regs and packing advice.

Reply to
Frogleg

Undoubtedly true but not relevant. All of them are either plants with sentimental meaning to me, or plants that cannot be replaced because they are not commercially grown.

I know. I grew up there. All of my gardening experience is from California, though, so I'm not entirely sure what will be able to make it outside. Plum trees? My research has yielded a definite "maybe"

I'm not sure, because I have done the triage yet. Definitely a Christmas cactus in a pot about 8" across. Probably one or two other cacti and/or succulents. And the plum trees.

The plum tree is rare, actually, unique. It's a cutting from a tree in my yard which is probably a hybrid between a wild plum a and Santa Rosa plum or something similar. The plums are a very deep purple color, a little larger than grapes, moderately sweet, and have the most intense plum flavor I've ever encountered. I strongly want to preserve this.

Actually, if someone is interested in growing one of these trees and caring for it, I have four rooted cuttings, and will be giving away two or three of them. The only condition is that I'd want to keep in touch, and be able to get a cutting from the cutting, if the one I keep should not survive.

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

Reply to
Jonathan Sachs

Which is WHY I SAID VERY RARE! Geesh, I am answering less and less of these questions, which I am then told the answer is not relevant.

All plants and trees come with a "definite maybe." Plants don't read books.

These are the rare and not produced commercially plants, which are sentimental, but you don't know what they are? Plum tree? You want to move a plum tree?

I don't think that it will be a successful transition.

Good luck. I hope the plums work out for you.

Reply to
animaux

Jonathan Sachs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm not sure if you have been following the thread "moving to California" but I have an analogous problem. I have been getting so much conflicting information about whether my plants will be allowed into CA I am ready to either give them all away or risk smuggling them inside boxes inside of the U-Haul van!

Reply to
Hope Munro Smith

Frogleg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Which plants made it under these conditions, do you remember?

Reply to
Hope Munro Smith

Jonathan Sachs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do you have any cuttings left?

Reply to
Hope Munro Smith

Please keep in mind that exotic pests are wreaking havoc in California. The uncaring nursery moguls who have introduced sudden oak death to our state is only the latest disaster. There is a very good reason to regulate plant entry into California to protect its agriculture and environment, both of which are incredibly diverse relative to anywhere else in the world.

Sneaking plants into California is a terrorist act.

Reply to
dsc

dsc >much conflicting information about whether my plants will be allowed

Reply to
Hope Munro Smith

Reply to
animaux

Go to the source:

mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

Reply to
Jonathan Sachs

Once I know how many I will leave behind, friends will have first dibs. After that, I want to give them to local people -- I really don't want to try to ship them, except as a last resort. My original offer was thoughtlessly worded, and didn't make that clear.

I should clarify what I've got. I propagated the tree from cuttings, and I now have several small saplings (and one not-so-small one) in clay pots. That's what I would have to ship. Taking fresh cutting will not the feasible until the tree goes dormant in the fall, and by then I will be long gone.

Hope, if you are coming to San Francisco area and will be here before the middle of August, a handoff is feasible. Otherwise I don't think it will work.

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

Reply to
Jonathan Sachs

Animaux, if you have useful information I hope you will share it with the group.

Please accept that whenever offended you in my response to your questions was not intended to do so. I can't address this any more specifically because your reaction seemed baseless to me, and your latest post didn't make any sense at all.

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

Reply to
Jonathan Sachs

It was a long time ago, but a 4.5' tall Euohorbia trigona, and a small rosebush are the ones that linger in my mind. I still have descendants of the trigona. The little rose struggled for several years, putting out one blossom per season (I'm *not* a rose person) and finally succumbed to a February thaw and subsequent March blizzard. They wee in the van for at least a week, I didn't know diddly about plants at the time, and the move was made in early July. In fact, a moving co. should have info about packaging and plant importation. In a perfect world, that is. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

Good story Dorothy. I can relate. Emilie

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

Hope I know You were joking, but there are many out there who do just that. The inspectors are very good at detecting fibbers and I have seen many of them along side the auto lanes unloading completely everything that is in the trunk, trailer, motorhome etc.!!! All spread out in the parking area.

Have you also checked the soil and roots. It is not just "bugs" but soil borne disease/fungi/ larvae/grubs. What you could possibly do is remove the plants from the pots and remove all soil so that they are bare root prior to the inspection area. Why not just call the n umber and ask about that. It may also be that they would not be interested in indoor orchids; they may not harbor anything they would be checking for. ASK.

Are you driving a refrigerated truck? Plants are not going to enjoy being boxed in a stifling hot truck in 100 PLUs degree weather, which is what we are having or are you moving in winter? When I returned to Calif I had 50 or more houseplants, which I gave away. It was just too much bother. And I knew that I would have so many outside plants that there would be no time to fuss with indoor ones. :^) Besides we do have great places to buy houseplants here in Calif. !!

Anyways, welcome to your new home. Emilie Also in the Central Valley, but way up north........

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

In article , dsc

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

And they tended to be cheaper, IIRC. Not sure about the orchids because I wasn't interested in them when I lived in CA, but regular houseplants, if you looked around, were pretty cheap.

Tracey

Reply to
Tracey

Good call. Don't know about yours, but mine would have to be nursed back to health after being moved a couple of feet. I can't imagine what moving one that far of a distance would require in nurturing. :)

Tracey

Reply to
Tracey

Oh, me, too. I had over a hundred potted plants when I left Minnesota to move to Hawaii. People were scared to come over to my house the last couple of months I lived there because they were forced to take plants with them when they left. :) In the end, a couple of nice Jehovah's Witness ladies, instead of converting me, were convinced to take a van load of plants with them when they left, and, at the very end, one of the moving men took the last 15 or so that were left. :)

And, I, too, left the ficus for the new homeowners.

Tracey

Reply to
Tracey