Are There No Pointy Stick Makers Left?

To date, The Pointy Stick Compendium Project has only received one, count 'em one, pointy stick contribution. Has the noble and ancient art of pointy stick making almost died out. Are there no pointy stick makers amongst us? Surely there are a few neanders who have kept the craft alive. And someone out there with a CNC machine has to have made at least one pointy stick.

So PLEASE, send your photos and drawings of YOUR pointy stick. And if you would, try and keep the file size below

5 megs, 100K would be preferable. And some text describing the stick, including the style, method of fabricating, wood used and source of inspiration would be appreciated.

TIA

charlie b E.D. - TPSCP

I've gotten wind of a "throw it away and it comes back" pointy stick that was found in OZ. Am researching that one.

Reply to
charlie b

Sorry ... I would love to contribute, but don't have enough room in my shop to make pointy sticks worthy of the effort.

OK, dammit, here's one ... it's a Pointy Stick Bill Cap that, with a little practice, and a steady (slightly oversized) head, allows you to keep both (count'em, TWO) hands free on the measuring device while marking your wood, (or is the other way around?):

great for those who are missing personal indexing digits on account of not having heard of splitters and guards. Plans are available for a small shipping and handing fee for WWCA ...or will be after they rip this off also.

Reply to
Swingman

it....

Dave O'H oheareATmagmaDOTca

Reply to
Dave O'Heare

While on a reality check trip this weekend to the oldest town in Texas, I found Pointy Sticks going for a little over $2 each at a large and old hardware store. See a.b.p.w. for a picture.

Reply to
Leon

Most of the pointy-stick manufacturing base has moved offshore now. In fact, they are so cheaply made by foreign labor that Chinese restaurants often give them away with meals!

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Actually, those are the ones QC rejected. They de-point them and sell them to both Chinese AND Japanese restaraunts.

But you should see the beautiful triple mitered point rosewood pointy sticks they make.

Am anxiously awaiting a "can't lose it" pointy stick coming from Australia. I'm told you can actually throw it away - and it comes right back! Have no idea what it looks like but will put up an image of it after I've had time to read the manual and do some testing on it.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Wal*Mart drove my PS business into the ground! Damn you Sam!

Reply to
patrick conroy

Mr. B., My great great Grandfather was a Pointy Stick Master Craftsman. I recently found a photo of him with a partially completed Pointy Stick. (He is the fellow wearing the hat)

woodcraftssuch

I had one of those once, but I never tried it; it was so bent in the middle that it couldn't possibly have worked.

Dave O'Heare oheareATmagmaDOTca

Reply to
Dave O'Heare

It only works when thrown at marsupials, did you try it on an oppossum?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Dang, *there's* the problem. Ain't no marsupials this far north.

Dave O'H oheareATmagmaDOTca

Reply to
Dave O'Heare

You could try importing a mountain wallaby, that might survive. Be a might expensive just for testing a stick but.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

How far north _are_ you? The range of the 'possum in North America includes parts of Ontario and BC. Further they seem to be moving north.

Reply to
J. Clarke

LMAO!

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

Absolutely breath-taking. I can't get the image out of my head as to what was going to happen next.....

wow

Reply to
Robatoy

Well Dave, not like they have the AutoSky drive-in anymore....

Pat

Reply to
SawDust (Pat)