Pointy Stick Compendium Project - new additions

Man this group is getting busy. No one seems to actually be making anything but there's sure a lot to write about and respond to..

So, in keeping with this trend, I submit for your perusal - four new pages from The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

The first answers the question What's the best way to make Pointy Sticks? (I only have $9,000 budgeted for tools)

here's one with more than you thought you knew, or wanted to know about finishes and finishing.
for those who want to know how to come up with ideas for a Pointy Stick
what to do when your Pointy Stick splits
've got to get more sleep, eat more often and cut down on the Coca Cola - honest I'm talking about the soft drink. Other than caffiene, nicotine and occassionally some Chivas Regal I'm totally against drugs)

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

While I was happy to see that you correctly pegged (no pun intended) component parts of my pointy stick contribution as spanning two centuries (I will be happy to provide you with provenance, which will undoubtedly make your compendium more valuable in the future), your neglect in failing to include the required copyright is unconscionable.

Your obvious appreciation of worth notwithstanding, my attorney's will be contacting your attorneys forthwith.

Reply to
Swingman

Please excuse my oversight (and call off the dogs!) re: copyright. If you'd e-mail me the required wording and an image of the logo or trademark you want included with the photo I will correct this oversigt immediately or, if you prefer, return your photo and remove the image from The Pointy Stick Compendium Project web site.

Got any more Pointy Stick contributions?

Is that a WoodCentral or WoodCraft cap?

Added "What makes a good Pointy Stick good?" Gets into Girth as a factor and The Fools Golden Rectangle as well as MicroPonting

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

DRAT!!! Again no mention of the ScaryPointy(TM) technique. I cannot submit any further designs unless I have a better grasp of the following:

MicroBevel Pointyness. ScaryPointy(TM) sharpening schedule.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

With hesitation, I must correct you. It's Micro Point, not MicroBevel Pointyness and it is shown and described here

And, in attempt to placate Swingman, I've added a sharpening page which includes Scary Point (TM) and a link to his site. I sure hope this gets him to call off the dogs.
Am going to have to take a break from The Pointy Stick Compendium Project I'm exhausted.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Am working on a mechanical PS sharpening device, based on the principle of eccentrically oriented, tangential, rotating, helical cutter heads spun by a manually operated crank, or tailed, as to preference. A basket, mounted around the cutting heads will catch the shavings, thus saving the woodshop owner undue mess and facilitating rapid cleanup. Patents pending.

Sorry to hear of your overworked condition.

Dan

Reply to
d.kessell

Too late ... I am sure that the Pacific Rim pirates have visited your site, copied the idea, and are, at this very moment, manufacturing thousands of the things, with child labor at less than minnimum wage and using rare wood from now denuded rainforests, which will be smuglgled over the Southern border for resale at Harbor Freight, thereby stealing jobs and bread out of the mouth of Jerry Springer ticket holders, and driving wages down for all of us. Shame on you for not taking into account the "Pointy Stick Butterfly Effect" has on world trade, hunger, and loss of rain forest resources.

Funny you should ask! I am working on an idea at this very moment ... Top Secret, ya know. (Actually, I am still trying to get my CAD program to draw a pointy line ... I'll let you know how that comes out.)

WoodCraft, which I wear when I go to Rockler, versus the Rockler one, which I wear when I go to WoodCraft.

But I've decided to buy a Lee Valley cap ... that way I would only need one.

Reply to
Swingman

snip

I got a Logosol hat - black dyed pigskin bill even - that covers ALL the bases. Even has a Swedish sentence under the Logo. Have no idea what it says but - it confuse folks.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Sounds like an old pencil sharpener to me - the original helical cutter head(s).

Please send me a drawing or picture to include in The Pointy Stick Compendium Project site.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

AAMOF:

Multi-pronged pointy stick ... for those hard to reach places.

... I mean, what's the use of having a woodshop full of tool$ and $craps if you can't facilitate scratching an itch when the need arises.

Reply to
Swingman