Shortages and rationing

The EU certainly does...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Viruses mutate all the time, so variants are to be expected. This one seems to have originated in Kent, so probably is still mainly confined to the UK. Other countries probably have their own new variants, but whether or not they have found them is another matter.

Although, if everybody followed the guidelines, it probably wouldn't be necessary.

Reply to
nightjar

Public health legislation usually trumps any other treaty or law.

Reply to
nightjar

They have no sovereignty. Only countries can have that.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes but we shouldn't allow unnecessary suffering. We have a moral duty to take care of all animals.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Ok, jokes over, what have you done with Bill? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

He's turned Vegan.

Reply to
alan_m

Nope. I'll wait til the dust settles.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Arbitrary French reprisals usually trump international laws and treaties.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The irony of course is 'most people' are vegan (in their principals re cruelty towards animals) they are just conditioned ... normalised to switch that compassion off when it comes to some animals that others have told them aren't sentient creatures that share many of the same needs, desires and sensations as us but are just there to be food?

Give a child an apple and a rabbit and it will play with the rabbit and eat the apple. If on a desert island and without the conditioning, at what point do you think it would think to eat the rabbit?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Probably when all his B12 has been exhausted.

Reply to
Fredxx

I think the world has gone mad. 1 For any new variant to be detected, it probably already exists in most of Europe. 2 It could well be that by trying to stop the spread, we have bred the new variant simply by natural selection, since only the strain best at spreading will spread. This is how evolution works. I'm just surprised its taken so long. However it will also breed for a less fatal version as well, since incapacitating a host animal will by itself limit spreading. The crucial thing we breed for as it mutates is a long period when the person is affected but not ill. After all the underlying driving force is replication, is it not? Its no good replicating if you end up killing your host.

So yes its about a lot at the moment, I know four people who have it. None are that ill, but of course have probably infected many others. The main thing why its spreading is Christmas. It was bleedin obvious to me that the students coming home, the school children being about more and too many people shopping at the same time was basically a recipe for infection with all sorts of things So all this silliness at the ports is stupid, since in the last couple of weeks there has been ample time for people to take any new strain all over the world, not just Europe. . Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Well, I still don't understand panic buying. If there is a problem you are merely forcing it to be quicker, and if there is not, in the end you are giving a lot of people who are sensible, a big headache to find essential goods. We should by now be over all this shit. The people predicting rationing will by their actions bring it about. Stupid or what? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Panic buying seems to mean just your normal shop but with less on shelves to begin with. Even with the initial toilet roll shortage, tell people that they are going to be in lockdown for months then you get in supplies that last for months! That's not panic buying - just common sense.

Reply to
alan_m

on 21/12/2020, Radio Man supposed :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Except anyone with sense would have realised that e.g. you cant stockpile 6 months of fresh veggie, so shops would HAVE to stay open.

I didn't stockpile a damned thing. Then or now...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not just France that has closed its borders to people from the UK.

Reply to
nightjar

So explain how we have taken back sovereignty?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Especially Bill.

Reply to
Chris Green

never seen fresh veg in the near of Scotland.....

Reply to
Jim Stewart