Seems James Dyson was right after all.

You mean why am I cold ?

Well the gas fire is 25 years old and they won't service it, the gas bloke found that I have a slow leak somewhere between the meter and the gas fire. A slow leak that would be OK if it was in an appliance but not OK in the pi pes under the floor. Quote for putting a new pipe in to a new gas fire woul d have to go from the ceiling down the wall , I don't really want sucha pip e going down the wall. Price about £400, but when he sees my loft I th ink that's double.

The present gas pipe goes Left at the meter down under the floor boards to the kichen where there's a sealed off gas outlet for a cooker. From the met er the gas pipe goes under the floor boards along the hallway to the loung across the lounge to the fireplace where my baxi fire (3.7kW) is which is/ was the main heating for the room.

I've looked around at gas fires and can't find many I like and even then th ey are not much over 2KW.

Are you serious, ?

I know all these aren't exactly 2KW but they are close enough.

I used

(not this exact one but a cheap one from B&Q the first I took back because of a safety recall , the second a fter it stopped workign after 14 months.

the last one is the one I was using before the dyson.

1/ Every time I came home and switched it on it stank of burnt fluff[1] 2/ Realtively noisey 3/ had to get up to switch it off/on and couldn't adjust it without getting up.

The advantage for me with the dyson is :-

1/ I can switch it off or on remotlely from my chair without having to get up. I can select a faster/slow air flow settign from 1-10, with remote. 2/ I can set the heater for a temerature of up to 37c. (independant of the air flow) in 1c steps. I found this can control the whole room with about 1C accuracy sometimes be tter than 0.5C. 3/ I can angle the heater up or down (not remotely though !) without needin g books or bricks under it 4/ the dyson can rotate around going meaning I can direct air flow. in the summer it's good for direct cooling , in the winter I don't always l ike a warm jet of air flowing towards me, so when I don't want it again wit h the remote I direct it away from me but the room is still being heated. 5/ I don't use the timer althouth it has one, also a narrow or wide air flo w which I rarely use (via the remote).

The only thing that mildly annoys me is that when the heater is off and the air flow is off and the unit is on standby it makes an annoying noise a bi t like a fan idling but it can;t be heard above a TV or anyone talking even the cat snoring drounds it out.

Sure, I think it's about double the price it should be but so are other thi ngs.

I do think it could be made smart or internet connectable and I do think th ey should make one with a peltier for cooling purposes too, so I;m not sayi ng it's perfect but certainly better than other fan heaters I've had.

Reply to
whisky-dave

One born every minute, as I said my 25 year old Vax hoovers up anything. I've used it for very dusty things, wet things, heavy things, anything you like, no problem at all. It has a proper cloth bag which traps everything but the finest dust, and that gets trapped in a cloth filter, then a little foam filter. Never had to replace any of them, just empty the bag and bang the filter outside to remove the dust.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rote:

p screws nailas and other crap cause the hose to get a split in it.

y duty stuff and the dyson for lighter work the sort of uses it would get i n a home.

and hardcore with a dyson or a henry use the tools for what they were desig ned for.

wdriver to knock out bricks ?

thing. No problem. Most stays in the reusable cloth bag. The small amoun t that gets through goes into the big cloth filter or the little sponge one . It's now 25 years old and the most that's gone wrong with it is a busted cable when I yanked it.

to suck up rubble.

s are avaible them doen't it.

Can yuo get yuor vax to pick up dust on the top of a wardrobe without havin g to run the cable to the nearest plug.

it's the finest dust that I want trapped I don't want dust blown out over e verything.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Why wouldn't it? It come with a wire long enough to reach the whole house from the socket in the hall. If the house was bigger, I'd just fit a longer cable.

Which it does just fine. There are three paces to stop the dust - the cloth bag, the cloth filter, and the foam filter.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

don't you have to plug your vax into the mains to use it ? or how else dos it get power to 'suck'

The surface is 6ft above the ground. The hose on a Henry is about 6ft so if the henry was on the floor the hose would just reach the top, but how would you then angle the hose down onto the top it just wouldn;t work properly. But with a cordless cleaner that doesn;t need a 6ft hose you just stand on a chair, with a henry yuod have to hold the henry in one hand and clean with the other.

Has it a hepta filter ? our henry doesnt'

Reply to
whisky-dave

Then I would either use the longer hose or for ridiculously long reach I'd plug the longer hose into the shorter one. We also have a George, but that is too heavy for my wife to take up and down stairs, hence having the Henry too and if I added the hoses from that, I could vac the whole house and the cars without moving the vac at all!

Our Henry has a Hepa filter - you can also use Hepaflo bags in it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

More importantly, the Hepa filter is available separately.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Such a change to read occasional news about Britain. No mention of Trump or the FBI.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Our cleaner at work has a backpack vacuum. Much easier than Henry, especially on the stairs.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You specified the top of a wardrobe. Surely I'd be cleaning that when it was already plugged in to do the floor.

Can't remember what hose I'm using, it could be off another vacuum, but it's long enough to reach everywhere. If not, just pick up the Vax.

No, hepa filters are for people with asthma aren't they? I have no need for one.

P.S. Since you find it so amusing that I trip over door frames, how about this - do you ever bend over and forget that your arse will stick out and collide with what's behind you?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Well that's up to you but with the invetntion of rechargble batteries someone though why not make a cleaner that you don't need to plug-in everytime you want to use it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Show me one with a 1500W motor.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You might, I wouldn't. That's teh advantage of using recharables of anything they can go places cabled devices can't get to.

Why do DIYERs buy recharable drills

and carry it while standing on a ladder yeah sure yuo can;t even walk without banging yuor head or feet against something.

No they aren't.

Not really, is this a fantasy you have with your henry.

How about sitting on buzz lightyear

whisky-dave

Show me one with a 3Kw motor.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's even less likely. You're missing the point.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You;ve lost the point.

What is one of the most important things a person wants from a vacuum cleaner. ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Style and virtue signalling judging by the Die-Soon.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nah he was the bloke that built Data in Star Trek the next generation ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Hey! I use a Mercedes to clean my carpets! Very good build quality and price, about 120quid new and it's still working after 25 years. The only part I've had to replace was the mounting that holds the filter in place.

Reply to
jgh

I never said there was anything wrong with Mercedes.

Rover: shit quality, cheap Mercedes: good quality, expensive BMW: shit quality, expensive

Only the first two make sense.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword