Somebody had clearly forgotten to tell them what a rubbish chain it was before they opened their wallet

I assume the VCs and management already received their bonuses for the deal at Christmas time...

Reply to
JoeJoe

There was a Homebase about 5 miles away from us. It was crap. It closed down and turned into The Range. The Range is also crap.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

When they first too over I assumed the place looked like a car boot sale at a tip because they were clearing out a lot of old stock. From time to time I visit, hoping they might have got round by now to a refit and restocking, it seems not.

Reply to
DJC

That was, and is, my impression too, the local one hasn't had the makeover treatment, but I've given up seeing what they've got ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Good , hope they go broke. I had an account with a hardware chain that westfarmers bought in Australia, they then cancelled every account that did not spend over a fixed amount each month, I have not bought from them since 2001, it is getting difficult here as many other hardwares have disappeared.

Reply to
FMurtz

at least it's cheap crap (usually)

tim

Reply to
tim...

The Range is one of those places which sells both good quality items and crap. Some items are good value for money but other items are x2 to x3 the price that can be found elsewhere. They also carry lines of items that are possibly not available in any other shop locally.

Reply to
alan_m

I got a microwave from them for £40 a couple of years ago and they are one of the few places that sell net curtain by the metre - much cheaper than having it made up with unnecessary hemming.

Reply to
Max Demian

Well, I never even heard of Bunnings before...

The Homebases I might have used have all gone. They excelled in nothing, and never had more customers than staff in them in recent years. I was surprised they carried on as long as they did.

The only thing I did use them for in latter years was the lighting and house plant departments.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Neither had I until I happened to pass by what used to be a Homebase. Not having one on my day to day travels I hadn't noticed it before.

Obviously they didn't have any money to spend on advertising

perhaps this is why the fortunes of the company have floundered.

tim

Reply to
tim...