Caepet cleaning question

There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.

Any ideas how to sort it?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As long as its not printer toner. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Bleach if it won't harm the carpet.

Vinegar if bleach is not an option.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Are you sure that you haven't put too much water on the carpet and the dirt has wicked up from the underlay/floor beneath? If so let it dry for week and then with a slightly damp cloth wipe gently over the surface. If the dirt lifts off into the cloth repeat the operation once a day for the next week, or two. The trick is not to get the backing of the carpet damp but to remove the dirt from the top of the pile in many little stages letting the carpet fully dry each time. Perhaps use some detergent in the first application but just use water to dampen the cloth for further applications.

Reply to
alan_m

Angle grinder?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Soak it with white vinegar, cover it with bog roll, press down and wait. White vinegar is magic. Or:

Mr Pounder Esquire

It's not a bleachable one. Will try vinegar, tomorrow if I can, thanks to you both for suggesting that.

It's definitely not printer toner.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE BLEACH!!!!!

Certainly not chlorine bleach.

You need to do your Sherlock Holmes bit & try to ascertain what it is.

Near an occasional table? Tea, coffee, beer, wine?

Near a teenage girls dressing table? Make up?

Near a rad? Sludge?

Near the garage door? oil/tar?

Once you have a idea, check out

Rule of thumb; solvent, alkaline detergent, acidic detergent.

Oxy clean bleach as a last resort.

Reply to
TMH

e a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what i t is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.

obviously :)

what came out of the room was mouldy food & beer cans, so mould is suspect no 1, beer number 2.

the other 3 less likely.

no to those

8k_e_p28

oh no, those are strictly against my religion. I do not pay 100x as much fo r chemicals as necessary.

what have you in mind for an acidic detergent?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

one a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.

t no 1, beer number 2.

fq8k_e_p28

for chemicals as necessary.

Professional had a look at it. He jus wanted to wet clean it with a giant c arpet cleaning machine, but didn't think there was much likelihood of succe ss. I'd so hate to have to depend on professionals!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Even if they work?