Cleaning toys?

Any idea on the best way to clean toys?

I have, for starters, a fair sized box of Lego... It was in a cardboard box (I'd say it's about a 2' cubic box) and I dig this box out to find that the cat has peed in it.

It's the regular, small Lego pieces. I was thinking to dump the entire box in the bath tub with hot, hot water (and some type of cleaner??) and let them all soak, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it, nor am I sure as to what type of cleaner, if any, I should and could use.

Any ideas or tips?

Reply to
xkatx

I would use plain old dish liquid and very hot water.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Would in the bath tub be a good enough idea? I think it would be easier in something big rather than doing sink after sink in the kitchen... I think this is what I'll do tonight... Grr to cats LOL

Reply to
xkatx

If you have a lot of the Legos then I'd use the tub. Just make sure none can go down the drain.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

is that how you clean your adult toys? I would jope you use some kinda antibacterial soap

LOL

Reply to
betrtimes

Use laundry detergent, warm water and household ammonia. You can add some rubbing alcohol if you wish.

Reply to
Phisherman

How about vinegar instead of ammonia? Sometimes ammonia enhances the urine smell. Lysol liquid or Pine-Sol might be a good thing. to add.

I think I'd take a brush to them to clean among the little snap tabs also, and put extra soap on that as I brush them. All kinds of crud gets in those little snap tabs..

It's possible that they will never come back to satisfactory condition----cat urine is a tough one, even on something that we think is nonporous!

Good Luck---

Donna

Reply to
Donna in Texas

I think ammonia smell would make me just puke... Especially being pregnant and smelling things that no one else seems able to smell. I remember a few years ago I bought ammonia cleaner by accident instead of the regular all-purpose cleaner and I had to throw the jug away because I could not handle the smell (and I wasn't even pg at this time) The smell of ammonia alone made me feel like I was washing floors with cat pee anyways! Pine-sol or similar might work, or vinegar. I can handle those smells!

I think I might do that if there's a few obvious pieces... I really don't think I'd have a small enough brush - or enough time in my life - to brush each one of them. There's probably a gazillion pieces of Lego - and they're the small Lego, not the big Mega Blocks or whatever. The box is about 2' cubed!

Yes, cat urine is one of the worst, I've found. I just want them to be not all cat pissy, sticky, smelly, gross. I'd hate to just toss this box - I'd rather toss the cat lol

Thanks, I'm definitely going to get around to soaking them in the tub with some sort of cleaner tonight. That alone will be a fair challenge :(

Reply to
xkatx

Hmmmm...... It's pretty much cat feces that toxoplasmosis involves but you might consider anyway

Donna

Reply to
Donna in Texas

Yes, I had looked into the toxoplasmosis issue a while back - actually, when I was pg last time with DD, who just turned 1 a couple weeks ago. I didn't even know about it when I was pregnant with the boys, but I did look into it recently. I'm kinda glad that the cat uses her litter box rarely... Can't seem to keep that animal inside, which I'd rather have, so she's outside almost all day. I don't usually have to worry about cleaning litter boxes... Just cleaning Lego boxes, but it's just pee, nothing else - so far... Not sure what got into the cat to cause her to do this, but whatever... Seems to be just a one time thing, and clearly in a bad place >:( lol

Reply to
xkatx

Could you not pop them in the washing machine with a bit of bleach and some washing powder ? Maybe in a net bag or an old pillow case sewn at the top?

Reply to
Mrs Bonk