Anyone watching CH4...

Grand designs.

These stone masons(alledgedly)have propped up a very heavy wall thats part of its structure will standard trestles and two wooden scaffold planks sandwhiched together.

Jesus anyone else with a bit of sense would use a steel RSJ.

Reply to
George

Oh dear its just collapsed. pmsl

Reply to
George

Audacious renovation though

Reply to
visionset

Over an hour and an half of Grand Shed this time around. How creepy is that going to be?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I can't believe with all that stone work, its cost as little as they say. Got to admire the pair of lunatics though.

Reply to
visionset

Repeated tomorrow (Thursday) at 10pm on one of the Freeview channels, I hope (I went to bed with a migraine and missed it).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Tomorrow's Time Time special on Pugin (C4 9pm) looks good too, followed by the repeat of "Grand Shed" :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I got the feeling that the "Oh what a shame the earliest part of the structure fell down, oh dear!" was not neccesarily that heartfelt. The wall was pretty much a stack of rubble with no interesting features other than it's age. I reckon the concrete block replacement and reapplication for consent was likely cheaper than trying to stabilise that, note they said consent came through in a week. Perhaps EH had already decided they wouldn't be too upset if fell down, if you get my drift.

"visionset" wrote

I agree on both points.

"H" wrote

Seconded Everywhere the camera pointed showed major structural defects. Looking at the single glazes leaded windows (event though they were small) I didn't envy them the heating bills!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

We watched the program with interest (and occasional outbursts of 'He's an architect - he should have known better!')

They didn't seem to mention the heat-pump c/h system in the 'finished' bit - which was a shame.

I only spotted one 'Victorian-style' radiator - so don't know how they were heating the place - underfloor heating downstairs (maybe ??).

Heck of a project though !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian
[snip]

He seemed quite a mild-mannered and self-effacing man to have the bottle to carry out such a huge project. It did need serious bottle. Top marks to him (them).

Reply to
Tony Williams

Always nice to see the conservationists on a collision course with the greens.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It was a good show, although how they did it for the money, I have no idea. I thought it was going to cost at least a million to do.

Reply to
Huge

Ground source heatpumps drop rapidly in efficiency as the output temperature rises.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , Adrian writes

I suspect there's a lot that didn't get finished (like probably all the seconds floor) and maybe the heat-pump didn't get fitted. I'm sure thats the sort of greeny thing that would have got airtime if it had been done. To heat a pile that size it would have been expensive item.

The granite bath was a bit silly though, how longs the water going to stay hot in there huh?

Reply to
Steven Briggs

not to mention wasteful of water and uncomfortable, due to the non-contoured shape.

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

There is financial support for restoration.

It was a frightening challenge, that appeared to have been done well. Past examples had corners cut - eg, softwood cladding springs to mind on one build in order to save build cost, risking far higher maintenance.

Personally I'd have done it one socket & circuit at a time if only to drive the Part P crowd up the wall. With a large moat, pit and...

... hey, I think I realise why he bought a castle afterall...

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

Not just that, how on earth can you lie in it? As a sarcophagus perfect, though! As everybody has sad, though, a very impressive project. I didn't believe they would see it through, especially when they started getting cold feet at the beginning.

Reply to
Maris

I contemplated doing something similar - though cast in high-tech concrete, ground back to reveal the aggregate with a diamond grinder, then polished, and sealed. A solution is to connect it up to the UFH loop, so it's never cold.

Reply to
Ian Stirling