Security Euro cyclinder

Sir!, Sir! I would! :-)

(and the locksmith who replaced it said that they are pickable)

I thnk it depends on what you pay. £10 pickable, £40 not.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

but you're booked up for months in advance (apparently)

you don't get a high security lock for 10 quid. (I was quoted 50 something)

in fact, you don't get a security lock key for 10 quid (and that's on top of the 50 quid)

tim

Reply to
tim......

I was in my local locksmith yeaterday. Apparently a replacement lock for my front door is £169! It was probably affordable when I bought it 25 years ago.

Reply to
charles

Not managed to get anything embedded in my watch glass yet, depite regularly forgetting to take it off when I'm working - the sapphire glass and ceramic links in the band seem to be almost anything proof.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I have a coffee mug that has pitting on the outside from being on my bench when I was angle grinding something.

Reply to
Huge

I agree. I have found to my cost a few times that glass and ceramic glazes get pitted by red hot iron particles.

I thoroughly recommend that glass is covered up or shielded when grinding close by.

Reply to
Fredxxx

The metallurgist in me gets a bit upset about refering to carpet or clothing as "fragile". To me, "fragile" means that it shatters if you hit it with a hammer. (So glass and some plastics fit.)

I think you mean "delicate".

Sorry. Pedantry over.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Hmmn, not quite there yet I think . . .

If you were truly sorry, you'd stop it :-)

Reply to
fred

More you spend longer it takes, even ASSA`s if you`ve got the skillz..

delete picking out on search term and get videos on drilling and snapping.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

This weekend's task is to change a door+window combo to a patio door, only problem being I haven't been able to find the keys for the new door for a fortnight!

I removed an identical euro cylinder from one of the other doors I've recently fitted and confirmed it had no anti-drill pins, no sacrificial snap points, obviously I could get access to both sides of the door, so removed the handles to avoid any damage to them, one pair of mole grips,

10 seconds of gentle persuasion and a poke with a screwdriver and that was that ...

To anyone that's got el-cheapo euro locks fitted, don't fool yourself that they provide *any* real security, a ne'er do well wouldn't give a toss about damaging the handles to get access to a greater length of the lock.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There were 2 noticeable aspects on that video: although kitemarked, the lock didn't have the number on the front; he'd turned the little lever but the lock itself stayed in the same position. I don't know if the lock is easily undone from that stage.

Reply to
PeterC

I would have thought "brittle" or "frangible" was better for that.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

I was in a Screwfix a few weeks ago and a girl came in carrying a very forlorn looking door handle and asking about a new one and eurolock. The advice she was given by them was what you would expect.

I did get the impression that they weren't too bothered when I directed her to a proper locksmiths, that I know well, and told her about sacrificial snapping points and strong chamfered furniture etc.

It didn't help that hubby had been working away for sometime and was due back that day, she wasn't in the best frame of mind. The likely hood of the toerags being caught was probably nil.

Maybe longer prison sentences for those that commit the crimes and even longer ones for those that fit poor locks to new homes would help?

Reply to
Bill

When I asked if I could order the doors with high security cylinders, they said "no", odd given they offer other upgrades like shootbolts to bump-up their profit.

Still at about a fiver each I suppose it's not much wasted to take the factory fitted jobs, I plan to replace them all with keyed-alike or master-keyed, anti-bump/snap/pick/drill/whatever, adding the garage door and shed into the same scheme to cut down the gaoler's bunch of keys.

Anyone got any favourite cylinder manufacturer?

Reply to
Andy Burns