Security Euro cyclinder

but you're booked up for months in advance (apparently)

you don't get a high security lock for 10 quid. (I was quoted 50 something)
in fact, you don't get a security lock key for 10 quid (and that's on top of the 50 quid)
tim

I was in my local locksmith yeaterday. Apparently a replacement lock for my front door is £169! It was probably affordable when I bought it 25 years ago.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:00:41 PM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:

de?

More you spend longer it takes, even ASSA`s if you`ve got the skillz..

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=euro%20lock%20picking

delete picking out on search term and get videos on drilling and snapping.

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 16:31:59 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby wrote:

There were 2 noticeable aspects on that video: although kitemarked, the lock didn't have the number on the front; he'd turned the little lever but the lock itself stayed in the same position. I don't know if the lock is easily undone from that stage.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Do you mean you couldn't snap it, or you did but it stayed locked so you still couldn't open the door to get at the securing bolt? I thought anti-snap meant the latter, but you imply the former.
--
Reentrant

On 19/11/2013 10:13, Reentrant wrote:

I couldn't snap it, until it had a discussion with Mr Angle Grinder. Not sure what 'Anti Snap' is supposed to mean TBH.

In my view it means a cylinder with a reinforced centre section that resists the snapping forces in that reduced profile section in the middle but the term seems to have been hijacked by manufacturers that think breaking off the outer section of a cylinder easily is a security enhancement. Weakening the design with a few cuts is of course much easier than adding and securely fixing a strong core to the outer cylinder elements, the latter are much more expensive.
Think you had a lucky break on the angle grinder collateral damage, 1 'cos you were just cutting brass and 2 'cos it was striking the door at an oblique angle. I'd be very wary of using an angle grinder near anything that is in the slightest bit fragile (glass, plastic, carpet, clothing) unless it was well masked, particularly if I was cutting anything with ferrous content. With ferrous grindings you also have the risk of any waste rusting later in contact with water for that distinctive red/brown stain, v messy on tarmac, concrete or carpet.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On 19/11/2013 18:54, fred wrote:

I agree. I have found to my cost a few times that glass and ceramic glazes get pitted by red hot iron particles.
I thoroughly recommend that glass is covered up or shielded when grinding close by.
On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:54:59 PM UTC, fred wrote:

The metallurgist in me gets a bit upset about refering to carpet or clothing as "fragile". To me, "fragile" means that it shatters if you hit it with a hammer. (So glass and some plastics fit.)
I think you mean "delicate".
Sorry. Pedantry over.

Hmmn, not quite there yet I think . . .

If you were truly sorry, you'd stop it :-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

I would have thought "brittle" or "frangible" was better for that.
The Medway Handyman wrote:

This weekend's task is to change a door+window combo to a patio door, only problem being I haven't been able to find the keys for the new door for a fortnight!
I removed an identical euro cylinder from one of the other doors I've recently fitted and confirmed it had no anti-drill pins, no sacrificial snap points, obviously I could get access to both sides of the door, so removed the handles to avoid any damage to them, one pair of mole grips, 10 seconds of gentle persuasion and a poke with a screwdriver and that was that ...
To anyone that's got el-cheapo euro locks fitted, don't fool yourself that they provide *any* real security, a ne'er do well wouldn't give a toss about damaging the handles to get access to a greater length of the lock.

I was in a Screwfix a few weeks ago and a girl came in carrying a very forlorn looking door handle and asking about a new one and eurolock. The advice she was given by them was what you would expect.
I did get the impression that they weren't too bothered when I directed her to a proper locksmiths, that I know well, and told her about sacrificial snapping points and strong chamfered furniture etc.
It didn't help that hubby had been working away for sometime and was due back that day, she wasn't in the best frame of mind. The likely hood of the toerags being caught was probably nil.
Maybe longer prison sentences for those that commit the crimes and even longer ones for those that fit poor locks to new homes would help?
--
Bill

Bill wrote:

When I asked if I could order the doors with high security cylinders, they said "no", odd given they offer other upgrades like shootbolts to bump-up their profit.
Still at about a fiver each I suppose it's not much wasted to take the factory fitted jobs, I plan to replace them all with keyed-alike or master-keyed, anti-bump/snap/pick/drill/whatever, adding the garage door and shed into the same scheme to cut down the gaoler's bunch of keys.
Anyone got any favourite cylinder manufacturer?