Sealant and showers

Can anyone suggest the following ...

a) the best sealant for my shower. Does any brand stand out in peoples minds?

b) the best way to get a nice smooth finish - I'm sealing between the tiled wall and the shower tray and then the tray and the shower cubicle.

I realised the sealant I had used on my shower after I had applied it said on the back "not suitable for showers". It looked a mess anyway so I've removed it to redo the job more neatly and with the correct sealant. This got me thinking however what's the difference between sealant for showers and general purpose bathroom sealant?

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

A real silicone sealant will do nicely. You can get "sanitary" versions designed for bathrooms that are more mould resitant.

The online shops toolstation and screwfix are quite good for these price wise. Not sure is there is any one brand that I prefer to another as long as it is real silicone and not just "mastic"

Have a look at the DIY FAQ:

I realised the sealant I had used on my shower after I had applied it said

The silicone stuff works.

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Richard Savage

Generally anti-fungal.

you get nasty black moulds on some sealer when perpetually damp...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher