Frame sealant

On a couple of windows on the cooler side of the house, mould is growing on the frame sealant. This was a branded sealer which I put in about 4 years ago, as the original was mouldy. Anyone know of the most effective sealer to use indoors, for the joint between UPVC frame and plaster of the wall, which will not let mould grow on it? Does it have to be silicone? - cannot overpaint that. As the windows are rather large - '60's house - its a bit of a chore raking the old stuff out. Any advice appreciated.

Reply to
cordery4

Try normal frame sealant, no need for silicone sealant it's horrible stuff anyway. Frame sealant is water based and paintable so you will be able to paint the reveals right up to the window frames.

Reply to
AJH

Agree with previous posting - silicone stuff is only suitable for waterproofing showers etc. and its a b*gger to get off if you ever need to!

Good quality water based frame sealants will typically have mould inhibitors anyway (the Unibond stuff I'm currently using in my bathroom for that purpose certainly does). It does get grubby over time though and best overpainted.

HTH

Midge.

Try normal frame sealant, no need for silicone sealant it's horrible stuff anyway. Frame sealant is water based and paintable so you will be able to paint the reveals right up to the window frames.

Reply to
Midge