SDS Drill recommendations?

You really don't know, you really don't know. That is why Norm Abrams uses Kress (rebadged Cable Porter)

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Was you vaccinated with a gramophone needle?

Reply to
Kaiser

I bought a Metabo SDS drill probabably a year before the DIY SDS drills started appearing. That came with a 2 year professional use guarantee. Subsequently, they upped their guarantee to 5 years, and back-dated it to include my drill. (It did have to go back under guarantee too, but that was after only a couple of hours use. Been OK since then.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The X version includes the add on conventional chuck adaptor IIUC.

See what you make of the proposed FAQ section on said beasties:

John Rumm

The warning is good, but I would go further and say that at least for the first SDS drill you use, you _must_ have one with a clutch. Also, particularly when using larger bits, core borers, etc, which are nmore likely to jam in the hole, do consider which way the drill body is going to jerk if the bit jams, and at least plan that it isn't going to hit you or trap your hand against something. (A friend of mine ended up in A&E having stiches in his chin after the SDS drill body spun and whacked him, and it twisted his wrist.)

Also, I don't think this issue is worse than a regular drill because the regular drill might slip the bit in the chuck, I think it's worse because the low gear is much lower and therefore has much more torque available, added to which SDS drills are oftem more powerful anyway.

Re: downsides... Point out that chuck adaptors have no hammer action, so if you have previously built up a set of non-SDS masonary bits, you can't use these in your brand new SDS drill -- you will need to buy SDS replacements.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nope.

Wickes sold Kress tools for some time before BMJ went pop. My dads drill needed a part after the 2 year warranty had ended (our fault - not a problem with the drill) and Wickes helpline put us straight through to BMJ.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Also on all the ones I've tried the ordinary chuck has a fair degree of sideways movement, so only really of use for rough stuff. Apart from the odd occasion, I'd say a cheap ordinary mains drill more use for non masonry use - as they're smaller too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

netto have one for sale from monday the 11th looks ok for £29.99 thinking of getting one anyway??

Reply to
ady2°°4©

Very simply because they make more money selling by the container load to Wickes who do all the promotion. Much the same as the firms who entire business is making clothes that are badged M&S etc, save that they sell under their own name elsewhere in Europe and have been doing so for 75 years.

as my SDS drill is typical they are definitely way better than the Chinese offerings. My Homebase SDS did fine while I stuck to drilling holes; a day or so using it as a light hammer finished it off. My Wickes SDS (£150 when I bought it) has been doing similar work for much of the last year without complaint.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I'd expect it to. 150 quid is hardly at the bottom end of the market.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite possibly.... I bought a "cheapo" last year, it's done a good deal of work & is still going fine. Looks like that netto one is similar, & you get bits & a keyed chuck with it. Have a look at it & see what you think.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Norm is _infamous_ for using what his sponsor makes, not what works.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It worked well enough when I saw it. Cable Porter are a quality make.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Quite. Note the "proud sponsor of.." link on

sure what IMM's Cable Porter stuff is anyway - cheap imitation of Porter Cable, perhaps?

Reply to
RichardS

..the Sampson man he thinks he's strong ..crying Cable Porter!, the name is wrong ..you've got it round the other way ..the Sampson man continues to say ..it's Porter Cable get right ..pedantically he shows his might ..so when pontificating about power tools ..beware, of Sampson man, he thinks he rules

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Never heard of Cable Porter, are they a cheapo version of Porter Cable?

Reply to
Kaiser

No, they're the powertools division of Cole Porter.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah, so that is what he tangos to then...

Reply to
John Rumm

They're all singing all dancing tools then?

Reply to
Kaiser

Nah! you gotta be kidding Norm uses Deck & Blacker he's allergic to Cress.

Reply to
Kaiser