SDS drill recommendations

I'm going to have to make about 80 fixings into hard concrete. My existing hammer drills chews approximately one masonary drill for five holes - I am going to need an SDS.
I was thinking of something like the Bosch blue 2-24. Does anyone know how to find out what features each Bosch drill has? I can't work out the diff erence between the 2-24D and the 2-24DF. Also, it wasn't until I read some other websites that I discovered they *all* had rotation stop (which I thi nk is a must).
Once I've worked out all the features on the Bosch websites, I then have to do the same for Makita, Metabo ...
Does anyone have recommendations?
On 19/04/2014 15:09, Martin Bonner wrote:

240V and 110V (one for domestic use the other for use on a building site via an isolating transformer)?
Once you get beyond the very cheap (and heavy) SDS drills then its probably down to a personal preferences for mains SDS drills and/or which is "on offer" somewhere.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On 19/04/2014 15:30, alan wrote:

As Alan says, not much difference between Blue Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Metabo, Hitachi.
Just shop around for offers.

some years ago, I found a Bosch PBH220 RE on offer. It has done me very well indeed.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 19/04/2014 15:09 Martin Bonner wrote:

I got a DeWalt that was on offer at Screwfix some years ago. Absolutely no regrets other than I didn't get it sooner.

Martin Bonner wrote:

rill for five holes - I am going to need an SDS.

ach Bosch drill has? I can't work out the difference between the 2-24D and the 2-24DF. Also, it wasn't until I r
ead some other websites that I discovered they *all* had rotation stop (which I think is a must).

My son bought one from the fairly new range of Bosch range of 36V drills (he paid about £300 I believe) and I used it the other day. I thought it a remarkably good tool. I'm used to the Bosch 24V ones, which until I tried this new one I also thought were remarkably good.
Bill
On 19/04/2014 15:09, Martin Bonner wrote:

I've got a Lidl (Parkside) SDS drill. I can only compare it to a B&D mains hammer drill and various cordless drills - and it's excellent. Cuts through masonry/concrete, and it's been useful removing tiles, chasing into brick etc.
I think it was about £40 with accessories - all of which have a coat of rust but otherwise have stood up well. Of course, though, you probably don't have the luxury of waiting for them to crop up again . . .
--
Cheers, Rob

+1
I think I got mine at aldi - £40 cased w a few accessories - No regrets.
Jim K
On 19/04/2014 15:09, Martin Bonner wrote:

Bosch's "Compare" tool says the difference is 2.8 kg against 2.9 kg and a few quid more!
http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/rotary-hammers-with-sds-plus-101344-ocs-c/
As another poster, I bought a Lidl one and, for the price, it is excellent. Everything I need! Until I have a few more coins rolling around wondering where to go...
--
Rod

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:13:05 +0100, RJH wrote:

Yes, I bought one of those about 4 years ago. It managed a 50mm core bit very easily. It has stop, lock and angle-settings - seems to have more facilities than some of the more expensive ones.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 19/04/2014 22:29, PeterC wrote:

On the more expensive ones some things come as standard and the manufacturer doesn't seem to need to list them. On my Dewalt turn the chisel to any required angle, disengage the rotary mechanism and the tools stays at that angle so it doesn't list 16 angle settings - it does more.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

Makita..
Theres one around the £100 quid mark. The one I've got HR 2600 summat or 't other is about the best tool I've ever bought:-))...
--
Tony Sayer

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
I'm going to have to make about 80 fixings into hard concrete. My existing hammer drills chews approximately one masonary drill for five holes - I am going to need an SDS.
I was thinking of something like the Bosch blue 2-24. Does anyone know how to find out what features each Bosch drill has? I can't work out the difference between the 2-24D and the 2-24DF. Also, it wasn't until I read some other websites that I discovered they *all* had rotation stop (which I think is a must).
Once I've worked out all the features on the Bosch websites, I then have to do the same for Makita, Metabo ...
Does anyone have recommendations?
Stick with the Bosch but for this short use you're going to use it for hire one for the time being so you can appreciate just how good they are.
On Sunday, April 20, 2014 8:17:09 PM UTC+1, Nthkentman wrote:

Excuse me? I have here a perfectly good excuse to go out and buy a new toy^H^H^H tool, and you are suggesting I *hire* one? What sort of crazy talk is that?
On 20/04/2014 20:37, Martin Bonner wrote:

I have a cheapo mains JCB that is plenty powerful enough if weight isn't an issue. Using it horizontally for any length of time is a right pain in the arms. I borrowed a 30 something volt Bosch cordless recently. OMG what a tool!
On Monday, April 21, 2014 10:05:25 AM UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:

How heavy is it? I'm looking at something in the 2-3kg range at the moment.

If that's something like http://www.tooled-up.com/manproduct/bosch-gbh-36-v-li-cp-36v-cordless-sds-plus-hammer-drill-with-l-boxx-2-lithium-ion-batteries-2ah/204109/
... then it's the same sort of weight. I'm struggling to justify a cordless SDS though.
On 21/04/2014 19:30, Martin Bonner wrote:

I bought an 18v Hitachi about a year ago & now I couldn't live without it. Ideal for curtain poles etc.

ow to find out what features each Bosch drill has? I can't work out the di fference between the 2-24D and the 2-24DF. Also, it wasn't until I read so me other websites that I discovered they *all* had rotation stop (which I t hink is a must).
I've got a Bosch 2-24DFR, bought mine in 1999, I didn't think they made tha t model any longer, and current model is the 2-26 ?
The models with the 'R' suffix include interchangeable SDS and 3-jaw chucks - something that I've found very useful.
Mine has had a pretty hard life at times, even coping with spinning a 150mm core cutter (frankly it's at its very limits doing that - the safety torqu e clutch/limiter kicks in frequently)
Two problems over the years, the drill/hammer/chisel selector switch requir ed a strip-down and tinkering (I suspect mine hadn't been fitted quite corr ectly at the factory), and an internal break in the power cable close to th e drill body.
That said, everything else has been a delight - and when replacement comes around the 2-26 will be my likely choice (it has a swivel on the power cabl e to eliminate the problem described above).

Good idea, IMHO. If you're going to use it for wall chasing etc, the weight becomes pretty important. I have one of the very early lightweight SDS units made by DeWalt.

http://www.tooled-up.com/manproduct/bosch-gbh-36-v-li-cp-36v-cordless-sds-plus-hammer-drill-with-l-boxx-2-lithium-ion-batteries-2ah/204109/

Quite. I'm sure it's worthwhile for a satellite dish fitter - but I've not felt the need for a cordless for DIY. It must also add to the weight? The extra size of the think due to the battery might also be a problem in tight spaces.
--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

You have houses in your area with curtains but no mains electricity? ;-)
--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.