SDS drill recommendations

I'm going to have to make about 80 fixings into hard concrete. My existing hammer drills chews approximately one masonary drill for five holes - I am going to need an SDS.

I was thinking of something like the Bosch blue 2-24. Does anyone know how to find out what features each Bosch drill has? I can't work out the diff erence between the 2-24D and the 2-24DF. Also, it wasn't until I read some other websites that I discovered they *all* had rotation stop (which I thi nk is a must).

Once I've worked out all the features on the Bosch websites, I then have to do the same for Makita, Metabo ...

Does anyone have recommendations?

Reply to
Martin Bonner

240V and 110V (one for domestic use the other for use on a building site via an isolating transformer)?

Once you get beyond the very cheap (and heavy) SDS drills then its probably down to a personal preferences for mains SDS drills and/or which is "on offer" somewhere.

Reply to
alan

some years ago, I found a Bosch PBH220 RE on offer. It has done me very well indeed.

Reply to
charles

As Alan says, not much difference between Blue Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Metabo, Hitachi.

Just shop around for offers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I got a DeWalt that was on offer at Screwfix some years ago. Absolutely no regrets other than I didn't get it sooner.

rill for five holes - I am going to need an SDS.

ach Bosch drill has? I can't work out the difference between the 2-24D and the 2-24DF. Also, it wasn't until I r

ead some other websites that I discovered they *all* had rotation stop (which I think is a must).

My son bought one from the fairly new range of Bosch range of 36V drills (he paid about £300 I believe) and I used it the other day. I thought it a remarkably good tool. I'm used to the Bosch 24V ones, which until I tried this new one I also thought were remarkably good.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I've got a Lidl (Parkside) SDS drill. I can only compare it to a B&D mains hammer drill and various cordless drills - and it's excellent. Cuts through masonry/concrete, and it's been useful removing tiles, chasing into brick etc.

I think it was about £40 with accessories - all of which have a coat of rust but otherwise have stood up well. Of course, though, you probably don't have the luxury of waiting for them to crop up again . . .

Reply to
RJH

Bosch's "Compare" tool says the difference is 2.8 kg against 2.9 kg and a few quid more!

As another poster, I bought a Lidl one and, for the price, it is excellent. Everything I need! Until I have a few more coins rolling around wondering where to go...

Reply to
polygonum

Yes, I bought one of those about 4 years ago. It managed a 50mm core bit very easily. It has stop, lock and angle-settings - seems to have more facilities than some of the more expensive ones.

Reply to
PeterC
+1

I think I got mine at aldi - £40 cased w a few accessories - No regrets.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

On the more expensive ones some things come as standard and the manufacturer doesn't seem to need to list them. On my Dewalt turn the chisel to any required angle, disengage the rotary mechanism and the tools stays at that angle so it doesn't list 16 angle settings - it does more.

Reply to
alan

In article , Martin Bonner scribeth thus

Makita..

Theres one around the £100 quid mark. The one I've got HR 2600 summat or 't other is about the best tool I've ever bought:-))...

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm going to have to make about 80 fixings into hard concrete. My existing hammer drills chews approximately one masonary drill for five holes - I am going to need an SDS.

I was thinking of something like the Bosch blue 2-24. Does anyone know how to find out what features each Bosch drill has? I can't work out the difference between the 2-24D and the 2-24DF. Also, it wasn't until I read some other websites that I discovered they *all* had rotation stop (which I think is a must).

Once I've worked out all the features on the Bosch websites, I then have to do the same for Makita, Metabo ...

Does anyone have recommendations?

Stick with the Bosch but for this short use you're going to use it for hire one for the time being so you can appreciate just how good they are.

Reply to
Nthkentman

Excuse me? I have here a perfectly good excuse to go out and buy a new toy^H^H^H tool, and you are suggesting I *hire* one? What sort of crazy talk is that?

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I have a cheapo mains JCB that is plenty powerful enough if weight isn't an issue. Using it horizontally for any length of time is a right pain in the arms. I borrowed a 30 something volt Bosch cordless recently. OMG what a tool!

Reply to
stuart noble

How heavy is it? I'm looking at something in the 2-3kg range at the moment.

If that's something like

... then it's the same sort of weight. I'm struggling to justify a cordless SDS though.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I bought an 18v Hitachi about a year ago & now I couldn't live without it. Ideal for curtain poles etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ow to find out what features each Bosch drill has? I can't work out the di fference between the 2-24D and the 2-24DF. Also, it wasn't until I read so me other websites that I discovered they *all* had rotation stop (which I t hink is a must).

I've got a Bosch 2-24DFR, bought mine in 1999, I didn't think they made tha t model any longer, and current model is the 2-26 ?

The models with the 'R' suffix include interchangeable SDS and 3-jaw chucks - something that I've found very useful.

Mine has had a pretty hard life at times, even coping with spinning a 150mm core cutter (frankly it's at its very limits doing that - the safety torqu e clutch/limiter kicks in frequently)

Two problems over the years, the drill/hammer/chisel selector switch requir ed a strip-down and tinkering (I suspect mine hadn't been fitted quite corr ectly at the factory), and an internal break in the power cable close to th e drill body.

That said, everything else has been a delight - and when replacement comes around the 2-26 will be my likely choice (it has a swivel on the power cabl e to eliminate the problem described above).

Reply to
dom

Good idea, IMHO. If you're going to use it for wall chasing etc, the weight becomes pretty important. I have one of the very early lightweight SDS units made by DeWalt.

Quite. I'm sure it's worthwhile for a satellite dish fitter - but I've not felt the need for a cordless for DIY. It must also add to the weight? The extra size of the think due to the battery might also be a problem in tight spaces.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have houses in your area with curtains but no mains electricity? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)