Saunier Duval Thelia 623 pilot light and NPower gripe

My question: A cowboy (NPower) engineer says Saunier Duvals.. and everyone else it seems! are rubbish. Trying to fix is a waste of time and I should buy a new one. I'm paying an engineer to come out next week to look at it, is it worth it? Or should I just start looking at buying a new one?? Any suggestions for good installers would be appreciated as well.

My situation...

I moved into a house with 9year old Thelia 623 and after a week it stopped working. FOund out of previous owner we had to turn a tap underneath the boiler to re-pressurise. It worked.. 3 hours after turing the tap. I bled the radiators and all OK. It's happened a couple of other time over the last 5 months but turning the tap brought it back to life. Even though that does make the boiler leak a bit from it's underneath. This time it didn't. When I turned on a tap the burner didn't kick in. With the central heating the 'hi-tech' digital control didn't do anything. That's usual when it needs re-pressurising but it all just springs back to life after 3 hours or so.

So I pressed the RED button, I know stupid!! So the pilot light went out and I can't get it back on again. Does anyone know

I have NPower (HomeService) central heating insurance and eventually they managed to organise an engineer to come out. He turned up and saw it's a Saunier Duval and told me exactly had bad it is. He called a friend and they concluded it's the circuit board abd the tubes needed replacing but it was likely they'd say it was beyond economic repair. He'd send off the quote to Home Service on monday. Home Service called and said it was beyond economic repair and offered =A3200 towards a repair or a new boiler. I asked how my the quote was for and she said =A3600! I asked what it was for and she said - the pump - the circuit board - the switcher valve - basically everything in the boiler!!

Reply to
jeremy

In most combis the diverter valve isn't a glowing piece of glass

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Good News!

Thanks to Geoff who gave me Bill's number I now have a fully operational Combi Boiler!!

Turns out it was the low water pressure sensor that had failed - a =A330 part!

Bill saw the pipes had leaked but it was because I was OVER-PRESSURIZING.

I should only take it to 1 BAR, and not fill until no further water enters the system.

Thinking about it now it's obvious, I'm a new house owner and I should look into things more, me finks.

As these insurance companies are here to MAKE MONEY and not help us live in peace and harmony, I'm going to cancel my insurance with Home Service and rely on good trusted tradesman instead - and uk.d-i-y! A clich=E9 but true!

Thanks again,

.=2EJeremy

Reply to
jeremy