Smart Water - tracing

Just saw a item on (I can hardly bring myself to admit this but I was channel hopping) Richard and Judy . It was on about Smart Water. I know it's been about for some time time - but not clear to me how they actually trace it back to a source. Ok say they have a sample of the stuff on some object - do they them send a sample of that sample off to a lab that actually does the analysis? Sounds a pretty expensive process if it is. What sort of value would an item need to have in order to justify the "trace" process - as opposed to simply buying/spraying the objects in the first place? Items of sentimental value excepted.

Reply to
dave

I think it more of a anti-theft deterrent, like you say for marking items with, will cost a lot to find out who's property it belong to, and will then only work if they find the item that has been stolen.

The spray system for burglars etc sound an ideal solution to stop armed robberies etc, by even just having the signs up outside, what criminal would be stupid enough to even try!

Reply to
Dave Jones

I take it every sample of the stuff that is bought has it's own DNA so can be traced back to the buyer . Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Yep, but not cheap though £49.99 a year for your house, and just under £100 a year for a small business.

I wonder if they will start to give discounts on your insurance if you use it? Hopefully at least the cost of the product.

Reply to
Dave Jones

There are cheaper versions with one-off pricing. You need to apply them as hidden dots (so a thief can remove them, if they're careful) but they're far cheaper.

Try a motorbike shop. Lots of these products on offer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The ones we have on our scooter are invisible, even we can't see where they are and we put them on. I think they're detectable by uv.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

careful)

how bout giving us mere mortals a clue what youre all discussing?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Smart water comes in a tube with a applicator in side. From the out side it looks like a eye lash tube, the type women use to put mascara on, and also from inside as well with an applicator. inside is a sticky varnish type of liquid, mixed into the liquid are micro dots, white and just about visible to the eye. These dots have a identification system on them that show up under microscope and light of some sort. What you do is apply some of this ,Smart Water varnish on to any item , with the applicator. any thing can be Smart Watered. When the liquid is dry its invisible to the eye. When all the items have been Smart Watered you fill in a form that comes with the package, identifying the item Smart Watered and your address. The security identification code is printed on the form. This form is sent to the address for registering on a national data base. If any of the item are stolen or go missing and turn up at a police station, the police scan the items recovered and can identify who they belong to. I didn't know there was a charge for this service.

Reply to
keith_765

And what happens when you come to sell the items ..? Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

address. The

thanks steve... sounds clever. And of course yet another way to take people's money.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I would imagine,you just advise the data people.

Reply to
keith_765

STEVE !! Who the #***@ STEVE

Reply to
keith_765

I understood that the Smartwater "active" spray system was designed for use in unoccupied premises.

The "active" version of Smartwater is a sprinkler type system that sprays a fine mist into the atmosphere when activated. Each sprinkler unit contains a liquid that has a particular chemical code - a type of key. The liquid invisibly stains the skin and takes years to come off. Under a special type of green UV type light the liquid shows up as funny coloured patches. The police can take a swab and send this off to a lab for testing. The lab can then match the sample to a particular sprinkler unit located in a particular building.

If the system was activated during an armed robbery then customers and staff in the bank would be coated by the smart water.

Potentially a customer or a member of staff might have a claim against the bank for assault for covering them in Smartwater.

I thought the "active" spray version of Smartwater was for use in unoccupied premises.

Another form of protection that seems to be really good is Smokecloak.

Smokecloak is a powerful high tech version of a night club smoke machine. The device looks like a large speaker and is fixed to the wall. When an intruder enters the protected area the machine produces massive amounts of smoke that is designed to fill the protected area within seconds. The logic is that what you can't see you can't pinch.

I set the smokecloak machine off at work by accident. It makes you jump when it goes off. With seconds I was engulfed in a thick cloud of white smoak. I could not see more than a few inches.

Graham

Reply to
graham

There is also a version of the hidden dots where each dot has a reference code written on it using a lazer.

Under a microscope it is possible to read the reference code.

The reference code can be crossed referenced to a particular business, vehicle etc.

Graham

Reply to
graham

claim theyve been stolen lol

NT

Reply to
bigcat

claim theyve been stolen lol

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Sounds a clever idea, but... surely branding is more effective and cheaper.

a) You cant remove your post code burnt into the plastic somewhere without cutting holes in everything b) its visible at point of theft, so thiefs may be put off in some cases c) it costs less

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Sounds a clever idea, but... surely branding is more effective and cheaper.

a) You cant remove your post code burnt into the plastic somewhere without cutting holes in everything b) its visible at point of theft, so thiefs may be put off in some cases c) it costs less

NT

Reply to
bigcat

According to R+J today they have been advised that a number of police forces are offering this system for free .So check with your local copshop Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

So how does SmartWater work as a deterrent? a.. Studies have shown that the most powerful deterrent for any criminal is the thought that they might get caught. b.. Thieves simply cannot risk handling stolen goods coded with SmartWater because 'forensic profiling' means they can be linked directly to the crime... often long after the event. Stronger and more accurate than DNA itself, SmartWater deters criminals because they know that they will be arrested and convicted. c.. Just code your possessions with SmartWater and your unique formula enables them to be forensically identified. d.. By displaying the SmartWater warning labels you will let criminals know that your property is protected. It's as simple as that! SmartWater REALLY works as a deterrent a.. Oldham - 62% reduction in burglary b.. West Midlands - 74% reduction in burglary c.. Nottingham - Repeat burglaries reduced by 95%

Source:Police Statistics

SmartWater has helped to reduce burglary by five times the national average*

^top

keith_765