Satnav monitor - secondary use?

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to use a satnav display device as a colour monitor to connect to say a home security camera. As I never leave the thing in the car it could double up on that role. No way it can be done I suppose?

Reply to
dave

Yes, if you're capable of some of the most challenging software engineering to reverse engineer a product. Tomtom devices run linux on an arm processor, devices also include a usb port. If you can get your external device to mount as a disc, write a suitable usb driver and port a browser onto the platform - then you're almost there. OTOH with those skills you could earn enough in the industry to buy all the gadgets you ever wanted.

If you're serious, look here:

dom

I have written device drivers for linux - sorry it was unix in my day.

See the catch here - and an easy way to avoid it? I can.

Sorry to deflate your attempted clever reply. But, Wrong! I could tell you why but you're probably just about clever enough to work it out yourself. ps A browser isn't necessary - can you see why II? (Looks clever though)

It was just a thought - no more.

out of touch with a particliar technology does not mean they are incapable of understanding it or getting to grips with it. Personally I have probably been involved with more high (C++D/Com) & low level (asm) driver code than you can conceieve of. Anyway, I had it in mind more that the manufacturers could well have missed a trick here. Most sensible folk don't leave their satnav's in the car and why not use this expensive device for other things: doesn't seem such a bad idea. Time will tell.

Reply to
dave

vices also include a usb port. If you can get your

You don't half fancy yourself, don't you.

Reply to
teddysnips

Or a reversing camera! It would be just right for reversing up to my trailer and getting the hitch right over the tow ball.

AJH

Reply to
AJH