Sagecom 2704n

Our village hall cctv used to be viewable over the internet but our treasurer signed us up to a new deal with Plusnet who sent us a replacement router and now the remote access has been lost. Asking Plusnet for help to make appropriate changes resulted in a response we don't support your request. Is there anyone in the vicinity of Gilberdyke, East Yorkshire who can help? Looking at the Plusnet community discussions it seems this router has been generally causing grief when remote cctv access is mentioned.

Reply to
Cynic

Try switching back to the previous router?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sadly that one ceased to work.

Reply to
Cynic

from what I remember the Hub Zero was particularly lacking in features, anyone associated with the village hall got a better router kicking around unused at home?

It probably just needs one with the ability to open a specific TCP/IP port for inbound access, though it has to be said that many CCTV/DVR products that work that way aren't amazingly secure - what make is it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Besides, plusnet is part of BT now is it not. Seems to me you should not let unqualified execs buy techy stuff without consultation on the tech specs. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes for the last 13 years, so I don't really see the relevance.

Would be nice if whoever setup the system had left a sheet of info detailing how it works and pointing out if e.g. any replacement ISP needed a fixed IP address or firewall rules setting for it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The Plusnet router that I received two or three years ago was fairly configurable and certainly let you open specific ports. Probably just a case of looking up which ports are needed from the CCTV manual and how to open them in the router manual.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

e.g. for Hub Zero, port numbers may differ for the hall's camera(s)

There is also a firewall setting at plusnet's end of the line, you may need to alter

Andy Burns

you could probably replace it with a BT home hub 5 or 6 they will work on plusnet and available cheap on ebay

-
Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Coincidentally I had occasionally to speak to the original installer this afternoon and he will come over next week.

Reply to
Cynic

If he has no joy do shout as I set up this router for my Dad for remote access to an IP camera.

Reply to
Mathew Newton