rust stains on wall

the previous owner of our house let a toilet overflow leak for a long time,the result being a dark rust stain all down the brickwork,has anyone any idea of a product to shift it,the brick is very soft so we cannot use a pressure washer or a wire brush,thanks in advance

Reply to
bramscape

a possibility. You can also try oxalic acid. It is a white crystalline powder which will dissolve in water or dilute hydrochloric acid, which seems to speed things up. Hydrochloric acid is corrosive and oxalic toxic. LD50 for oxalic acid would appear to be about 25g, so accidentally swallowing a whole ounce of the stuff would be unfortunate to say the least. You may have to sign the poisons register at the pharmacy.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

....... or buy a couple of pounds of Rhubarb and boil it up. :)

Reply to
Tony Williams

And don't forget the custard ..Yummy....lol

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Well Cillit Bang claims to remove rust stains, but I'm not sure how much you would need :)

Or use brick cleaner from one of the sheds.

Rick...

Reply to
Rick

Sorry for the delayed reply.....

We used to use Oxalic acid to whiten-up aluminium panels (I think it removes the copper, or something). DIY'd from rhubarb, then bought as pure Oxalic acid.

The rhubarb juice produced a more pleasing 'whiten', (less harsh), and was far easier to wash off.

Reply to
Tony Williams