Russian Revolutionary Hybrid car

No. UK -> Faeroes -> Iceland -> Greenland - > Canada. These intermediate countries are then accessible as well. Use high speed maglevs and the time is quite reasonable.

The EU wants all Capitals connected with HSR as future aim. They propose a Liverpool to Dublin tunnel. Well I assume that would be direct to Holyhead (maybe tunnel under the River Dee and tunnel under the Irish Sea.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But if you are comparing a taxi with one passenger with driving yourself, it's obviously wrong to conclude that the taxi is twice as efficient because there are two people in it. It's about whether the driver/pilot/whatever is there because the passengers need one, or because they also want to make the journey themselves, not about the vehicle type.

Similarly with a light aircraft, it makes a difference whether you fly it yourself, or are hiring a pilot to take you somewhere.

And the average occupancy of a UK bus is 9 passengers. That means there are lots of routes where it will make a significant difference to the numbers whether you include the driver or not.

Alan Braggins

Yep, I can just see HS trains packed to the luggage racks with passengers for the Faeroes, or Greenland.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I can't see why Portugal haven't already cashed in with a Lisbon->Azores->New York tunnel

Reply to
Andy Burns

Plate tectonics, they would have keep adding sections in the middle.

Reply to
djc

you would need a very large version of one of those flexi WC connectors.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its much easier than that, just move the capitals to be closer.

Reply to
dennis

Wrong direction. The long term plan is to connect North America to Europe via a bridge across the Bering Strait and train lines across Asia. The proposed bridge would carry trains in the centre with a road above and, the main reason for the bridge, oil pipelines below. The road section is expected to be passable for only about four months every year.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Plus some incredible mileage of new railway track to link it up. Through extremely inhospitable territory and with no obvious use except getting to/from Bering straits (i.e. nothing anyone would want to drop off to visit).

Reply to
polygonum

I'm not going to disagree.

On the other hand it could be the end of the Shuttle - when the US cancelled its manned space programme.

They say they'll be back...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I'm surprised they didn't cancel it sooner, the shuttle has cost more and killed more than any other space vehicle.

Reply to
dennis

That only helps for speeds below the wave speed. It reduces the size of the bow wave.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

not when measured by deaths per mile or by launches per person

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There are also considerable engineering problems in building a bridge that long over water that carries huge amounts of moving ice. Nevertheless, the Europe / Russia / Asia / America multi highway (a mix of road and rail transport connecting Paris to New York) is a project that has been seriously discussed. Many Russians see it as being a way to revitalise their industry and to connect with remote regions, which would solve a number of social and trade problems. Branch roads into India and China have also been discussed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Short Empire: 130MPH cruise. MFG: 1936-40.

Avro Lancastrian: 220MPH. Mfg: 1943-45

Comet. 490MPH. Mfg: 1953-69 (Approx) (Boeing 707 was a bit faster at 620)

Concorde: 1300MPH. Mfg: 1976-79.

See a trend here?

Airbus A380: 587MPH.

Look no trend.

The Short, magnificent as it was, was replaced by aircraft that could fly further and faster. Later aircraft may be quiet and cheap, but they are not impressive.

We are getting old, and there are some _really_ impressive computer games and movies out there... "We are not decadent, but our children will be".

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It killed at a third of the people per flight compared to the manned Apollo missions...

14 dead in 135 missions compared to 3 dead in 11
Reply to
John Rumm

Apollo killed exactly zero in missions. It killed three in pre-flight operations. Mercury killed zero, Gemini killed zero.

Reply to
dennis

You are clearly barking mad train spotter.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The trend was fast intercontinental comms. Instead of going to the world fast. The world came to you infinitely faster. No need for supersonic transport.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I don't think that painting spots on trains is even a real job, you doofus.

Reply to
Jules Richardson