Hybrid econ0mics

I have a HPV it does 9.3 miles on electric only on a full charge. Full charge consumes 8kwh. 1 kwh costs me 28.1p. 8kwh costs £2.25 This works out at 24.17p per mile

1 litre of petrol costs £1.65 or £7.51 per gallon.On petrol I get 45mpg. This works out at 17p per mile rounded up.

why would I use electric ?

Reply to
fred

Dunno. You’re the one who bought the hybrid. A full EV would typically do 3 to 4 miles per kWHr.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

+1
Reply to
Andy Bennett

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, fred snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

So you can avoid contributing to London Transport's fund raising activity?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You wouldn't if you had to charge it. If you can charge it by regenerative braking while running on petrol, you get free electricity (and a lower bill for brake pads) so that would be the time to use it.

A lot of taxis are Prius or equivalent. They can take you to the station/airport at five in the morning without waking your neighbours, while getting better fuel consumption around town than a Diesel.

Reply to
Joe

Won’t help. Needs to be full BEV for the emission zone I believe.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My last car, a 2.2l Mazda Diesel, was exempt.

Reply to
charles

You two are getting confused between the emission zone and the congestion charge.

Reply to
GB

I'm not. Emission Zone charge is for polluting vehicles.

Reply to
charles

Presumably you would use its very existence to get a lower road tax bracket... until the switch part of the bait ans switch kicks in at least :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You claim less than 1 mile per Kwh. That's very low.

Reply to
GB

You’re right. I live so far from London that the chances of me taking my car there (or accurately knowing the regs) is near zero.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

When we (rarely) go to London for a day trip we park the car at one of the underground system outliers (we use Upminster - huge carpark), park cheaply and get a Day Travelcard for travel anywhere on the system. Save all the hassle.

Reply to
Andy Bennett

Will that be included in the ULEZ expansion?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

45 mpg seems a bit low for a hybrid.
Reply to
alan_m

If and when it is we will drive to Shenfield and get the Elizabeth line in.

Reply to
Andy Bennett

We have a full EV anyway so doesn't matter to us. (Always get congestion and low emmision zones muddled up!)

Reply to
Andy Bennett

Ha! That cost me a fine! I signed up for a trip to Islington. Got confused by the 12.50/15.00 charges and paid the higher amount as a precaution. Droids at Darlington would not accept that they owed me £2.50 and an appeal was refused.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Now do the calcs other than on the open road.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If he gets his way, yes - all the havering boroughs would be included (Upminster, Romford, Hornchurch etc). However they are currently pushing back and threatening to refuse to erect the signage and cameras required.

Reply to
John Rumm