Hybrid econ0mics

I would have pay nothing to drive through London in my ancient gas guzzling 3.5 litre V8 petrol engined Land Rover!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

I'll bite and ask why. Exempt because of disability, wheelchair accessible, illness? You are a diplomat?

Reply to
Robin

I've just recalled another possibility: Twisted?

Reply to
Robin

I am not planning a trip to London but just out of interest checked on the TfL website and my PHEV would be exempt in the ULEZ still have to pay the congestion charge even though the car has the ability to save battery power driven on petrol only until switched into electric mode.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

My petrol car likewise, anything 2005 (EURO 4) onwards is fine, it's diesels that need to be 2014 (EURO 6) onwards, my previous car would have had to pay.

That's because the congestion charge isn't related to what does or doesn't come out of the exhaust, its about cutting the actual number of vehicles clogging up the place ... or filling Sadiq's coffers

Reply to
Andy Burns

It was held out as dual purpose congestion-but-also-environment, and most hybrids were exempt until 2021. EVs are still exempt (from memory until 2025).

Reply to
Robin

When you stop seeing a government as a provider of public services for a small fee, and start seeing it as a den of thieves looking to maximise their loot while avoiding revolution, a lot of things become clearer.

Reply to
Joe

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because its ancient and considered a Historic vehicle!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

Thanks. I didn't know V8s were fitted pre-1973.

Reply to
Robin

wouldn't exempt you from congestion charge if by "through london" you include central london?

By the way, I see you were right about full BEVs being CC exempt to end of 2025, and fuel cell vehicles too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The national exemption to emission zone restrictions is a rolling age of

40 years.

It is also possible to retrofit non-standard engines, without losing historic status - IIRC as long as people were carrying out such engine swaps within 10 years of production of that vehicle ceasing. So it is likely that almost any vehicle of 40+ years old will have had some of its production run re-engined within that period, making the entire production run okay for similar engine swaps now, while retaining their status.

We are due to take delivery of an EV soon. I may take the opportunity to make our second car (which will only be needed for occasional towing or infrequent long journeys) an old Landrover Series 3 ... which could be re-engined with a more powerful and efficient engine from up to 1995, with no problem.

Reply to
SteveW

My mistake. I recalled the London ULEZ has an exemption for all pre-1973 vehicles. I forgot it the additional exemption for 40+ year old non-commercial.

Reply to
Robin

Fitted to Range Rovers from 1971.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

Interesting. I've had a PHEV for 6 years and am thinking of replacing it with something a bit bigger and 1 or 2 years old, the question being whether to go EV, stay with PHEV, or go back to petrol. I *had* been favouring another PHEV but some quick sums, like yours, suggest it ain't sensible at the moment on a purely cost/mile basis unless the house roof is covered with solar cells, which mine isn't. My sums were based on

34p/kWh, an 18kWh battery giving a 46 mile range set against £1.50/litre and 50MPG. Perhaps that's an argument for solar cells, but probably an argument for waiting to see what electricity prices do ...
Reply to
nothanks

You'd also be cutting emissions - at the very least, local particulate.

I happened to notice an electricity 'pump' at an M1 services - 65p kW/hr.

Reply to
RJH

I was given a newer van in early December because of the CAZ in Bradford and upcoming CAZ in Sheffield.

It's so far it has saved us £18 for two Bradford trips and would have saved us £200 for 20 Sheffield journeys if it was in operation.

And the van has only been in the garage twice for repairs but is due back in again next week for the Ad Blue problem fixing again.

Reply to
ARW

Can't you just piss in the tank and solve two problems at once?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The tank is already full.

Reply to
ARW

So while in theory the van is better for the clean air zone, and doesn't pay the charge, in practice it's as bad as the old one.

What a surprise.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris