Russian Revolutionary Hybrid car

The Russians are to sell at the end of the year a new range of 100% elecric drive cars using a revolutionary new rotary toroidal "vane" engine" - some cars will be made in Germany. Some crank in the USA said he invented it. He never. I "believe" the battery pack is small for the car so nearly always runs on the engine. The engine only turns a genny. A dissapointing 67mpg (US). I seems cheap to buy. so I will get my cheque book out:
http://pesn.com/2011/04/23/9501814_Russian_firm_claims_MYT_engine_design_its_own/
On 27/01/2012 18:46, Doctor Drivel wrote:

http://pesn.com/2011/04/23/9501814_Russian_firm_claims_MYT_engine_design_its_own /
"it has been said that the swing-piston design combines all the disadvantages of the rotary with all the disadvantages of the reciprocating." (Wikipedia) If there's any truth in it take that to be 67 miles per car.
Andy

Do not go on wikipedia - people make it up there. It is 15 kilos (the weight of the engine) for 30 kilowatts output. 1/4 to 1/3 the size and weight of an normal engine. Amazing power/weight ratio. The battery is small and only gives 2 km range. A bigger battery would have given the car greater mpg. BTW, it is about 75mpg UK. Nothing comes close to it and it is quiet and a dream to drive with a seamless electric transmission - no silly gearbox.
This is a breakthrough. It only took Russian engineers 6 months get the design right. While everyone else is looking at their navels. Further R&d will get it more efficient.

You still haven't worked out that if the engine charges the battery that having a bigger battery makes mpg less? Big batteries only make more mpg if you start with them charged and don't use the engine until they are flat. Then you finish the test and claim really good mpg.

So it hasn't been tested yet.
While everyone else is looking at their navels. Further R&d

Dennis now interjects. Thank You Dennis......

This car has only a range of 2 km on battery. The batteries in hybrids claw back kinetic braking energy, and also take charge for surplus power. That is the Prius can get 75mpg. Those chargeable from the mains as well can get more mpg of course, and overall cheaper running.

It has - even Putin drove it. They are arranging manufacturing. They took order a few weeks back and got 55,000 immediately. They only planned 50,000 in the first year. They can get production up fast because thee battery is small. The problem with hybrids and EVs is getting the batteries.
Thank you Dennis for your valuable input.
On 27/01/2012 23:47, Doctor Drivel wrote:

It will be the first Russian car to have ever been designed right... Having owned two Ladas in my poorer days...
--
Kev

Be who you are and say what you feel because those

Lada was a Fiat 124. The ruskies have made decent cars but they were not available here. I believe it will be made in Germany as well.

Oi, don't diss the mighty Lada. My mate had a Moskvich - in remarkable condition, it was, which was hardly surprising as it never went anywhere. He bought it for 90quid and sold it for 190. I was amazed at the number of eejits out there, as the phone rang for a week.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The Moskvich engines was a direct copy of a BMW engine with interchangeable parts. Great car! Very distinctive. Better than an Austin Lemonhundred.

We called them fartburgs as you could smell 'em long after they had passed.
MBQ
Man at B&Q wrote:

That was probably because the owners allowed the engine to wear. It was good engine.

So you don't know the difference between a Moskovich and Wartburg either?
--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I do identify drivel and knobs.
On 30/01/2012 14:22, Doctor Drivel wrote:

We identify drivel with knobs as well...
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 05:27:04 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"

Nothing to do with Moskvichs at all.

Some idiot in Coventry had one of those, you could smell it about a mile before you caught up.
dennis@home wrote:

Was it owned by the snotty uni lunatic? He poos in the boot.

Ladas aren't a russian design, theyre simply Fiat 124s from the 1960s. And despite all the rubbish spoken about them, theyre an ok no frills car. Vehicle design has moved on for sure, they were fairly good in their day, now they're just an almost half century old design that's still being made, and the lack of ongoing development gives them a correspondingly low price.
NT
On 30/01/2012 20:20, NT wrote:

Have you actually had one and compared it to a Fiat 124?
Yes the bodyshell is the same but that's about it. The front suspension is completely different as is the engine and gearbox.
It's easier to list the things that are the same rather than the differences.

Then I stand corrected, they're a 70s design.
NT