Russian Garlic Babies

I grow Russian/Elephant garlic quite well in my mountain garden at Mount Tamborine in Queensland, Australia.

I have tried a couple of times to plant the little brown "bulbils" that are attached to the garlic bulb when dug at the end of season ..but no luck.

This year I soaked them in water overnight to see if that would make any difference but none have appeared as yet.

Does anyone have a trick for getting these little "babies" to grow?

Thanks so much in advance for any help or advice....Danny

Reply to
Danny Byrne

I see no one answered yet. Can I assume you realize they are bulbs and, as with just about all bulbs, you plant them in the fall and they grow in the spring? Not that I've ever grown this type of garlic myself. You say none have appeared yet. Isn't it still fall there?

Steve

Danny Byrne wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Steve is right. Thy will grow into egg sized bulbs this year ready for harvest at Christmas time. Plant them out next May and they will produce the final cloved product.

Greg (Victoria Aust)

Reply to
Greg Naylor

I grew elephant garlic last year and had several of these little, hard bulblets. I typically just threw them away, but one evidently fell off and stayed in that bed over the winter. Now I have a small elephant garlic plant growing there. I'll let it grow this year and re-plant it this fall with the rest of the elephant garlic.

Mark

Reply to
Mark