Russian Revolutionary Hybrid car

After 1'15" we were a mile up, and going at 500kts. Then the pilot throttled back, and they got the champagne out.

And as far as I can see no one will ever be able to do that again. The cancellation of Concorde may be looked back on as the moment when civilisation ended.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Nah, that ended after the last moon landing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Or employ a bulbous bow?

Reply to
Andy Burns

So, like Dennis you are claiming that. Car that only has a driver has no passengers? Or are you clutching at straws?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well there is your opportunity to go and complain to the web site where I got the figures, assuming its not you that's wrong.

So you are a lying f****it that doesn't just count the passengers like everyone else does in *passenger* miles per gallon.

Liar.

Reply to
dennis

In most car journeys the driver is the passenger unlike airliners, ships, trains and buses which have crew and sometimes passengers. In general a passenger wants to go to the destination to do something while the crew just want to go there to enable the passenger to go there. Now do you really want to argue that passengers and crew are the same thing f****it?

Reply to
dennis

Of course he does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A cruise liner has far more crew than a basic ship designed just to move passengers. Unless you think dancers and so on have a essential function?

Turn that 747 into first class only would have a drastic effect on its fuel consumption per passenger mile too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes... although I suppose people felt the same way when the empire class flying boats vanished, too.

I don't know if I'm getting old, or if there are just less and less impressive things going on in the world :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Many years ago I wrote a piece for our church newsletter commenting that my dad was born before the Wright brothers first flew and died having seeing Concorde and men on the moon, whilst in my lifetime the A380 is (with apologies to aero engineers) conceptually not that different to the Comet which first flew before I was born.

What had changed, I noted, was that things which were available only to a select few are now the mainstream experience. In primary school, only a few of my classmates came from families with cars, not everyone had a TV, central heating was still rather exotic. Now (to exaggerate slightly) everyone (in the western world anyway) has everything - even those classed as living in poverty have colour TVs and mobile phones.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Sit ship passengers in rows and isles for the journey and you will be able to fit in more passengers. However you will make the passenger mpg worse as nobody is going on an Atlantic crossing like that for 5 days.

Reply to
dennis

And which web site was that? As usual with you, you havent quoted your source, because as usual the only place it exists is inside your head.

No Dennis. I see that as usual reading and understanding ate beyond you. Mpg figures for cars always include the crew (driver). Otherwise the vast majority of cars would be classed as achieving zero miles per passenger gallon, given the average car occupancy of 1.6 including the driver.

Do you want to compare ship (passengers only) to car (passengers only, excluding the driver)?

You're the one posting their Dennis. Your claim that the ship has about

1000-2000 fewer passengers than it does.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Mmm, no, I'd include the driver in a car (because he's a passenger too unless its a taxi), but not in other modes of transport. Course, for most purposes it doesn't matter too much (bus driver + 50 passengers, say, or place crew + 300) but passenger ships seem to require large crews for some reason. Do they have reserve sets of galley slaves?

Reply to
Tim Streater

There are less and less impressive things going on in the world. Instead of proper rugby we have this professional charade now, and 9 billyun for the Olympics so a bunch of nonentities can get further up their own arses.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The days of the true passenger ship in the west has gone - excepting things like ferries. Current ones are more floating holiday resorts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are Count Arthur Strong AICMFP.

Reply to
Dave - Cyclists VOR

The actual operation of the vessel is done by at most a few dozen crew. The vast majority of the crew on cruise ships are doing the same jobs as they would be doing in a hotel which had a night club and restaurant. Things like washing laundry, serving at table, cooking, singing, dancing, telling jokes...

Reply to
John Williamson

We just have the superbowl over here - so I win. :P

Reply to
Jules Richardson

All knobs

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The QE2 is an old ship. The new ships are far more efficient.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel