Rubbish Getting In To Emulsion Tubs

Opening a tub of emulsion today I was faced with the usual pieces of dried paint around the rim of the tub and got to wondering if there is an easy way of preventing this as what usually happens is that flakes drop in to the paint as you take off the lid and even trying to remove the dried bits ends up with some going in ..... Has anyone found a way of preventing this .. Any ideas ?.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

When you have finished painting, wipe the rim of the tub (and wash lid groove if necessary). Make sure the lid is put on TIGHT! Store the tub upside down. This works on the modern plastic tubs but not always on the 'old' metal cans, due to the lid rims getting buckled whils removing them with screwdrivers, knives, teeth, etc..

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Pour off what you need into a paint kettle through an old stocking....

Reply to
Phil

Store it upside down?

Reply to
John Cartmell

Its not a good idea to turn the tub emulsion upside down as the thin layer of emulsion will break up when turned back up the normal way.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's a pain, isn't it. If you slosh the paint around inside and leave it for a day or two, it binds the flakes. Remove the lid while the paint's not fully hardened, and peel off what you can. Failing that, just tip the tub up to coat the inside and remove the lid carefully.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Reply to
Nick H

I was talking about a used tin Nick .If it had been a new tin or tub it would be going straight back to where it was bought . I'll try and remember that tip.

Stuart ps.How come your reply gets shown as being quoted same as the previous message you replied to .???

Reply to
Stuart

In message , Stuart writes

maybe because nick is posting via some outfit called homeimprovementbanter.com - another web gateway to uk.d-i-y.

I'd guess their posting engine is bit broken?

Reply to
chris French