Old Emulsion - gone off.

I need to do a bit of making good on a painted wall after removing some fittings. Alas I opened the original paint tin and found it had turned into a fudge like consistency. Is there any way of salvaging just a bit for some touching up? Otherwise it will have to be a matchpot.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Dried out or congealed due to frost damage? I lost a tin of antirot primer to frost and it went into a useless copper sulphate blue jelly.

Unlikely unless you can find some where the paint resins are still good and liquid. Be aware that the paint on the wall may have gone lighter or darker with age compared to the stuff left in the tin (and new paint will be different again when wet).

I have been known to use the right colour and the wrong texture finish followed by a clear layer of settled out right surface finish paint. There are too many variations of satin, eggshell....

It is always worth sealing the rim of any paint can before putting it back on the shelf. That way it keeps a lot longer. Decanting a small amount into a very well sealed container is helpful for touchups.

In the good old days of liquid paint this was easy after closing it you could upend it and run the paint around the inside of the lid taking care not to deposit the entire contents on the floor. These days with non-drip you have to work the brush out on the lip before closing it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

If you've pulled the skin off the paint, and whats underneath is like this, just add a little water until you get liquid paint. Often emulsion like this looks offcolour, but once mixed up its all good.

NT

Reply to
meow2222