Emulsion peeling away, adhesion failure?

Right then, moved into a new house (less than 10 years old) earlier this year. It seems the kitchen was originally a beige/magnolia colour which has been overpainted Terracotta red.

I decided to overpaint this an off white, similar to the original paint job, so I washed the wall with sugar soap, rinsed with clean water and allowed to dry. Gave it a couple of coates of regular matt white emulsion to cover over the red then applied a couple of coats of Dulux "kitchen" emulsion.

Everything was fine until I decided to remove a dried on "drip" mark with my scraper and a large strip of paint peeled off with it, down to the original beige/magnolia. I thought this was just a small section, but to my horror as I tried to remove the loose material around the peeled off area, a whacking chunk of paint proceeded to peel away like wallpaper.

It seems the terracotta coloured coat hasn't keyed onto the original beige coat, and since I've overpainted it can now be peeled off in big strips like wallpaper.

What could have caused this? My paint has stuck to the terracotta colured stuff OK, but it seems this hasn't stuck to the original. Was it anything I have done?

Should I peel everything back to the original coat and start again, or wait for my top coat to cure off for a few days and paint over the affected area?

I don't really fancy the task of having to redo the whole kitchen again. Any ideas on why this happend and what to do now?

TIA

Reply to
Dark Angel

I'd wait until it is fully dry- maybe 7 days. Even wipe clean emulsion needs time to dry before it can be wiped clean safely.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Well, nothing.

Other than a *way* too long sig.

Reply to
Huge

Any idea why all the subsequent layers, apart from the original, are pealing away in one go since overpainting though?

Reply to
Dark Angel

Whoever painted it before you wasn't so thorough with the sugar soap. Think you'd better start again.

Reply to
DJC

Because whoever painted over the original paint didn't prepare it properly - peel it off and start again.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Either poor surface preparation under the terracotta, destabilised (old) paint reworked with water used or painting onto limewash/distemper. There was a fad for this in the late 90s, and terracotta was a popular colour, being pigmented with "planet friendly" iron oxides. If I had to take a guess, the last.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Do a group search on Dulux. Their emulsion doesn't adhere well to anything IME. It appears to be thickened with minerals to achieve a non-drip one coat but it's way too thick. OTOH I've never had trouble with Crown.

Reply to
Stuart Noble