Xpelair Condensation Control Fan Problem

Hi, got an Xpelair DV200T extractor fan for our bathroom, it turns itself on when the light is turned on in the bathroom. However today it has stopped working, the light still comes on (both the bathroom light and the light on the fan to show it has power) but the fan isn't actually rotating. I opened the cover and cleared out a load of dust but still no joy. Any ideas? Is it something we can fix or do I need to get an electrician out to replace/repair possibly?

Simon

Reply to
Bumble Bee Boy 2

Looks like you need to buy a new one. It's not difficult to do yourself. they don't last forever.

Reply to
Mike

Might be worth checking if the motor has failed. If so, you might be able to buy a plain no-humidistat equivalent model, and swap the fan motors over. This would be cheaper than buying a humidistat fan, which come at quite a price premium.

These fan motors don't have a good track record with me. I've had very short life from both Monrose and Delta makes. Currently got a Wickes one and a super slim Vent-Axia one, but both are too new to comment yet. Haven't tried Xpelair.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've had a Vent Axia one for more than 10 years and it continues to work perfectly. The build quality does seem to be noticably better than earlier ones I had.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My Xpelair lasted twenty years before screeching its way to death.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Agreed. I have a ~12yo VA100H which has been largely trouble-free and remains quiet-running. The only servicing needed in that time has been a general strip, clean and lubricate, and replacement of the 'thermal motor' (a PTC operated gubbins) which works the back-draught shutter.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yep, agreed. My Vent Axia 6" wall fan in the kitchen is still going strong after 21 years. It's not switched with the light though.

If you find the fan coming on with the light for 15/20 minutes is annoying, there are other ways of complying with the Building Regs. You can have a fan running very slowly (and silently) to give 24/7 trickle ventilation (around 5 litres/second), and then manually switch to boost speed only when you need to. Vent Axia Solo or Nuaire Genie-X fans, for example, have this feature. You can also get humidistat override versions too.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor