Dishwashers - built in? integrated? what does it all mean?

I am going to buy a new dishwasher. The old one sits under the counter, has a door that matches the cupboards and is behind the bottom plinth. What sort do I need to buy? I don't want to use the old door, so I need one that just fits under the counter and behind the plinth, nothing else. Can I buy a freestanding one and just remove the top, or is there more to it that that?

Reply to
Mike

A free standing one will not normally go behind a plinth, cut and remove it, measure the gap first to make certain it will fit in.

Reply to
powerstation

So I just have to remove the top, then? as well as cutting the plinth?

Thanks

Reply to
Mike

Have you measured it ? I may fit under without removing the lid.

Reply to
powerstation

You *may* be able to, even without removing the top.

Typical height for a worktop should allow for a freestanding dishwasher to fit underneath, but the plinth has to be removed.

It would look strange with the plinth running along in front anyway.

However, do check all three dimensions before buying.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On or around 6 Nov 2005 07:07:22 -0800, "Mike" mused:

An integrated one.

You mean you don't want an integrated one, or you don't want a door on one, or something else?

You can't. Integrated machines are ones with a door front to match the rest f your kitchen abd that sit behind the plinth and from the front look like an ordinary cupboard unit.

More to it than that. There shouldn't be any reason to remove the top. However, the depth of a standard machine means it will sit in front of the plinth and also a standard freestanding machine is lower so the door will not open over the plinth.

Reply to
Lurch