OK to use white undercoat instead of emulsion

Is it ok to use white undercoat instead of white emulsion paint.

I would need to buy the emulsion but unfortunately I am overspent at them moment!

------

This is the bqackground. I found I have got a nearly full 10 litre tin of Johnstone high opacity white undercoat.

I want to re-paint the inside of a cupboard which has brick walls and is plastered in the same way as conventional indoor walls are. The cupboard walls are already painted white but it was several years ago.

I just wonder if undercoat might change colour over time or might be poorer wearing or might have some other disadvantage? Can someone advise please.

Reply to
Lars

The undercoat will get grubby and discoloured, but, you can use it now, and when funds are better, emulsion over it.

Reply to
David P

Yeah, why not. If it looks white, and it feels white, then it must be white. No matter how it got to be white, then it'll be alright to use the white paint you have. :-)

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
BigWallop

No. It will look very odd, and you don't really want oil based paint in a kitchen cupboard. If it is acrylic water based undercoat, there's no harm in it, but it doesn't look particularly good without a top coat.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I forgot to mention that the undercoat is not oil based. It says it is alkyd based and takes about 4 to 5 hours to dry.

When it dries it kind of looks like emulsion paint.

Reply to
Lars

An alkyd paint taking 5 hours to dry is very likely solvent based. Most water based paints are acrylic or vinyl, although some acrylics are also solvent based.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you do a large area with an oil paint - give yourself plenty of ventilation.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

... for days. Why not just leave the painting till youve got 10 for a tin of paint.

NT

Reply to
bigcat