RSJs, Fensa etc - lack of paperwork

what part of "some modifications" did you not understand?

except that the OP said "unsupported chimney breast" (the chimney breast was removed but the wall attached to it had no extra support. This may be OK, but it may not).

In any case, I made no references to the OP's position in my post I was speaking generally.

I was thinking of adding to my original post - "I am not an idiot I am not referring to things like installing of DG windows without regularisation", but I decide not to as I thought that no one could be so stupid at to think that I was.

Well of course it is

but what cards does the buyer have?

oh look, absolutely none

That's completely different to having to have an additional survey because the vendor has tried to "hide" some deficiency in the property.

tim

Reply to
tim...

ten a penny in most areas

I was referring to *real* deficiencies

and did they really rip out kitchen and boiler, or are you just falling for the EA crap that most people do (which is a lie)

tim

Reply to
tim...

If you approach the land owner they will get advice as to whether you have access. If you haven't, a) your property will suddently be worth jack squat & you won't be able to even enter it legally b) they will then want £150,000 per house for access right. It has to be the worst option you could take.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

insurance.

BTW re shopping the builders, it is you you would be shopping. You are the one legally required to get the stamp of official approval.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There's no shortage of that on here lately. Maybe it's the hot weather turning some into semi-zombies.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They really did. Went to se neighours after the funeral some years later and about 1/2 the house ammd almost none of the graden was as sold.

There was a new kitchen where the garadge had been And a new bedroom on top...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, you register yoiur access as a public right of way and say that you have been tramping over it for 12 years and so its at the minumum a public footpath. If you have been driving ovcer it, it may be a green road.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah yes - if I'm seeking easement then the last thing I must do is ask for permission. Thanks for the reminder. Fortunately as posted elsewhere the path is within the bounds of the set of properties so I guess even if unwritten we are all the owners.

Reply to
AnthonyL

It isn't a public right of way - we don't want any Joe Public wandering around.

All the occupants of the 10 properties use the path, the path serves no other purpose than to provide access from that end of the properties to the properties, you can't go anywhere else. The path is within the bounds of the property complex ie the fences, hedges and walls that surround the 10 properties.

There is no-one to ask permission except of ourselves.

How do all the owners go about getting right of way? It isn't a public right of way anyway.

All that appears to have happened is that there is no bloody mention of its existence in any official paperwork despite it clearly being there.

And as far as "trampling" is concerned it is a proper path, part of it asphalted, the remainder of it slabs. It's not like it's a short cut we've all used for the past 35+ years that I've owned a property.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Just to be clear I did not have the chimney breast removed. It was already out when I purchased the property and I have no idea when. I had a full building survey which did NOT pick this up. We were only alerted to it when having an extractor fan fitted above the stove with a view to venting it through the chimney and the installers noted the lack of support. They arranged/recommended (can't remember) for a structural engineer calculation and then the appropriate RSJ was fitted.

This was my first UK house purchase (I'd been out of the country shortly after graduating) and if permissions were required I'm naive enough to have expected one of the people involved to have mentioned it, similarly with the more recent small, non-opening, double glazed window.

More fool me expect the people in the trade to know the procedures.

Reply to
AnthonyL

yes that part was clear

Solicitors have become more vigorous at checking all this stuff in the past few years

things which 10 years ago wouldn't even have got a mention can now hold up a sale

Annoying, but that's how it is

tim

Reply to
tim...

OK, I didn't realise a guess from someone that doesn't know was good enough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you know the answers why have you been asking?

Reply to
tabbypurr

I thought the O/P had previously mentioned "issues" with the neighbours, the council and the path in another group?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That fact of what you want, and the fact of what it is under UK law, are orthogonal.

Then it is a de facto public right of way.

The landownwer whose land the path runs across.

It is now by the sound of it.

So it is now a public right of way, and you can get it registered as such, and if you are lucky the council may adopt and maintan it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well that would be the County Council. But they won't *maintain* it, Shirley? That would be the landowner's responsibility.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , tim... writes

Not been paying full attention....

There are 4 windows and a part glazed door here that have no FENSA certification. Basically the builder made such a pigs ear of the job that I re-did it myself. (I think the glazier was going on holiday and told the builder how to do the job!)

Building Control signed off on the job so the only issue is some conveyancer covering his posterior at some stage in the future. This is not a young house and my plan is to simply stone wall any moves to discount an agreed sale.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The thinmg about a public right of way, is that no one 'owns' it...its sorta publically owned.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is a local authorities responsibility to maintain rights of way.

Or ensure that a landowner does it its really bang acrooss a farm

A few years ago signs appeared all over our parish saying that various bits of land were going to be registered as 'private' to forestall people claiming rights of way through common usage.

Sad really. Landowmwers didnt mind people walking on em, but needed to reserve the right to do with them waht they liked in futire. So now lots of signs saying 'private'.

People carry on walking in em though :-)

This is a rough guide to what seems to be the relevant law.

The Natural Philosopher

'cause I don't know how best to deal with the issue, I'm just clarifying what the issue is.

The pen-pushers just want to sell indemnity insurance and tick boxes, can't even get through to the person handling my case.

Reply to
AnthonyL