Lack of roof ventilation

I've been spending some time insulating the loft of late, and it gets rather hot and muggy in there. I discovered why: there is no ventilation. No air bricks, no soffit vents, no tile vents, nothing. There are a few gaps where the roof isn't perfectly airtight, and the can be pressure buildup from one side of the roof to the other when it's windy, but it seems like there's no free flow of air. There's a few holes for old pipes etc in the ceiling that aren't filled meaning some air is likely escaping into the loft (mostly plugged with wool, should probably do a better job), which are likely about the same size as the gaps in the roof. There are actually two lofts (east and west sides) with habitable space in between, so there's no path for cross ventilation (I could install a drain pipe under the floor, but it wouldn't be very much).

There are no dampness problems in evidence, but I wonder if I should be putting in extra ventilation as well as insulation? Would soffit vents be sufficient, given the lack of cross draught?

Or can I get away without it? Some of the existing insulation isn't very good in a way that's hard to fix (access is really awkward), so there is some merit to keeping the heat in, but there are no vapour barriers beyond the regular plasterboard.

Will soffit vents help, or hinder? Or something else?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo

We’ve got soffit vents and ‘mushroom’ vents in the tiled roof, as well was some airbricks in the two gable ends. It doesn’t get damp but it does get very hot in summer and cold in winter ( there is good insulation - 10” or so.)

Reply to
Brian

The tricky time is the next month. Very humid, so the loft will be full of humid air, then suddenly in late September to October we will get a blast of cold northerly air so all that humid air will drop below its dew point, especially since you have lots of insulation on top of your upstairs ceilings.

No amount of ventilation (and this change also tends to happen when there is high pressure over the Artic so very little wind) can deal with this.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew