roof space ventilation for loft conversion

I am just getting the plans together for a loft conversion on a house I am renovating.

The roof is covered with a triple roman tile and the bottom row rest on the wall plate.

I need to provide ventilation for the roof space and I was wondering if there were any suggestions as to how I go about this. I realise I need to put ventilation at the lowest and highest points of the roof to provide a flow of air but I am not sure how to go about this.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

No such tile as a Triple Roman, double roman yes. Bottom row of tiles don't rest direct on to the wall plate. they rest on a tilt fillet fix to the wall plate or the fascia board. To vent the eave for Double Roman tiles , you require over fascia vent strips with comb. theses are nailed to the tilt fillet or the fascia board under the underlay felt. The underlay felt is cut back so it just laps over the supporting part.

To vent the top of the roof you need a dry vent fixing ridge system. As you will have to vent each individual rafter spacing

Reply to
keith_765

In article , keith_765 writes

[panto mode]Oh yes there is[/panto mode]

Go to

and put "triple roman" in the keyword field to see an example.

I will investigate the vent strips that you mentioned.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:10:19 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Martin Carroll randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The rafters rest on the wall plate. If there's no soffit or fascia, then you'll have to reduce the masonry.

Do you have a substantial void above a flat ceiling at the top of the roof? If so, you could instal vent tiles provided that they are placed into the void area above any insulation (not, as I've often seen, stuck halfway down the ceiling just ventilating between a pair of rafters).

If you have a vaulted ceiling going into the ridge, then it will have to be a continuous ridge vent. The dry ridge system is the best option, but if yours is a terraced or semi-detached house, it may raise the ridge line above your neighbours. One option I've seen is to install 'weep vents' into the mortar fillets.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Hugo, have a look at the triple roman tile, they are not the modern type, they are one off's. No vent tiles will match these tiles or continuous vent ridge system. Vent ridge are probably the only option at the top and over fascia vent strips with comb filler and underlay support at the eave.

Reply to
keith_765

One link a search turned up:

John Rumm