RSJs above windows

Apologies if this has been asked before, and apologies if it is a ridiculous question, but is it safe to drill into the RSJ above, for instance, a kitchen window, in order to fit some brackets to put a blind up?

Common sense tells me it is probably OK, but I realise this RSJ is load bearing, and I'm no builder!!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John Whitworth

I have, with no apparent problems. As long as you're drilling holes for a few screws and not cutting through a substantial section of the RSJ you'll be all right.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

shazzbat mumbled

You'll have a problem drilling into the RSJ (Rolled Steel Joist)

-- zaax

Reply to
zaax

"zaax" made a very valid point:

I wondered if the OP meant a concrete lintel. These are also difficult to drill holes with an ordinary electric drill and masonry bit.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

I don't consider it difficult. I discovered I had RSJs when the masonry drill stopped drilling. I changed to a normal steel drilling bit and drilled through the metal. I have no experience of drilling into concrete lintels, I suppose it would be a problem if you found the reinforcing bars.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Hmmm! I'd of thought the RSJ(if steel)would have had battens knocked into it to accept plasterboard and skimmed over?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The reason being???? It's only steel, nothing else and a good quality HSS bit will p**s it, I've drilled countless in my time!

HTH

John

Reply to
John