Gas hobs and windows - location

We are planning a new kitchen, want a gas hob, and the current location of the proposed window may be quite close to where the gas hob ends up. I have Googled and found so much contradictory information I thought I would start a spirited discussion a.k.a. argument here.

There are claims that a gas hob should be a minimu of 300mm from anything flammable, including UPVC windows. Logically you wouldn't put the hob directly in front of a window for all sorts of reasons including draughts, cooking splashes on the glass, risk of reaching over the hob to the cill or an opener, setting fire to curtains (if you have them)....however alongside a window looks feasible.

So are there strict Gas Safe rules, are there guidelines, or is it just "common sense"? Or none of the above?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Have you ever tried to burn PVCu? I have, and frankly I wouldn't worry about.

Reply to
Huge

I have.

But not the window immediately over the hob - that had a blind.

... and keeping an eye on the children.

It often facilitates the plumbing to have the sink on an outside wall anyway. Cooker hoods are a comparatively recent domestic appliance. I can remember my parents getting one - a couple of years after they discovered the avocado.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have seen it done. Some pillock of a gas fitter fitted a balanced flu heater ~4" below a uPVC window. The sill is a nice shade of brown and nicely twisted. It won't burn easily as its an endothermic reaction.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for responses so far. Nobody has cited any regulation :-)

We plan to have an extractor hood to the outside directly over the hob, so no plan to have the hob directly in front of a window. Just checking how close to the window we can legally site the hob should we so wish. It gives more flexibility in the planning.

All we have concluded so far is that the kitchen area would be easier to plan if it was slightly larger.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts