Gas heater location

I'm having a hard time deciding where to locate a freestanding flued gas heater (Envirogas 828, by Sherwood Industries, Canada, with a maximum heat output of almost 8 kw, if that's relevant). The house is two-storied. Most living happens upstairs, where the big kitchen-dining-living room is. For a combination aesthetic and practical reasons, we're not keen about locating the heater (with its ceramic logs) in the living room, and I'm considering the idea of putting it in the big bedroom that is beneath the kitchen-dining 2/3 of the upstairs room. This would be an easier installation, with simpler flue arrangements. The part I'm uncertain about is the effectiveness of the bedroom location in providing heat to the upstairs. The bedroom door opens into the big space with lower and upper hallways and the staircase, so warm air escaping the bedroom would easily move upstairs, and this would be advantageous as far as heating the overall house is concerned. (This is quite a big house, with an office and two bedrooms downstairs, and three bedrooms upstairs.) It isn't clear how much heat would be transmitted upwards through the ceiling and floor, and I'm not sure how to estimate this. This is in Auckland, NZ, where the winters are not very severe - a few frosts a year. Perhaps someone has had experience with this sort of thing.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

"THIS APPLIANCE HAS BEEN DESIGNED TO OPERATE BY DRAWING COMBUSTION AIR AND DILUTION AIR FROM THE ROOM." - from the installation manual.

It may be approved for bedroom use in USA/Canada but I wouldn't want an open flued appliance in a bedroom.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm not sure what is meant by open flued. Wherever it's installed the flue will go outside. In the case of the bedroom, it'll go through the wall and up.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It means that air passes from the room to the heater and is used for combustion. The fumes are then supposed to go up the flue and out.

If however there is a fault with the flue or with the ventilation in the room, then fumes (carbon monoxide) may pass back into the room.

UK:

Since 31 October 1998, any room converted to use as sleeping accommodation should not contain the following types of gas appliances:

  1. A gas fire, gas space heater or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) over 14 kilowatts gross input unless it is room sealed. 2. A gas fire, gas space heater, or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) of 14 kilowatts gross input or less or any instantaneous water heater unless it is room sealed or has an atmosphere-sensing device.
    year about 30 people in the UK die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning caused by gas appliances which have not been correctly installed or maintained. People who sleep in a room containing an open- flue gas appliance which is left burning at night are most at risk.
Owain

Thanks, I see your point. Since the regs for gas are pretty strict now in NZ there is a very good likelihood that installation in the bedroom would not be permitted. In fact we certainly wouldn't be using it after we'd gone to bed, but that wouldn't change anything.

Gib

Reply to
Gib Bogle