FENSA Certificate

What are the implications of not having a certificate? Out house was bult with wooden double glazed windows (No certificate then) Over the last couple of years I have had 5 windows replaced with UPVC framed double glazing with thermal glass. However, it was several cash in hand jobs and no certificates were offered or sought. In the unlikely event of selling the house, what might this mean? Could I say that I have reduced to price to allow the new buyer to have FENSA certified frames fitted? Could I get some document from the (reputable) frame makers? What are the issues?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No, they can't certify the fitting, only give a declaration that the frames/glazing meet the standards, so not the same thing.

Someone might ask to see them, and you'll have to say you have no certificates because some windows didn't need one, and others haven't got one.

Anyone who can look at the windows, see they aren't falling out, do have the kite-mark to show they're toughened if appropriate would be a fool to walk away from buying a house due to a worthless bit of paper.

You *could* get a retrospective building regulations inspection done, they may want to see evidence that cavity-closers, lintels etc were installed where needed, or you could get "lack of building regulations indemnity" policy for a few quid.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Wait until it becomes an issue - if it does - when you come to sell the house. Then say that you've lost the certificate and that the company which did the work is no longer in business. Unless there are any obvious problems with the windows, the lack of certificate is unlikely to affect the sale. If it *does* there are - as others have said - various indemnity insurance policies which you can buy for not very much.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That won't wash, FENSA keeps a copy of certificates, searchable by postcode and house number

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think this is one of those non-issues since before 2006 a FENSA certifica te was not required and it does not stop people buying houses with DG insta lled before then. I should imagine if any body really likes your house it w ill be a small issue and not likely to put them off unless they are really pedantic and then they know what they can do.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That does not quite work as everyone (solicitors) knows that you can get duplicates from FENSA (I've had to do this).

Better to just say there are none and leave it at that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's interesting - my house doesn't have any certificates and I still bought it ;)

Reply to
Richard Conway

When were the windows fitted?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills wrote in news:d756icFn3b4U1 @mid.individual.net:

Last year and next week.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Sorry but we cannot match that search data! Mind it was 20 years ago.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

When selling, honesty tends to pay and not bite you later!

Reply to
Fredxxx

The oldest certificate I can find down my road is 2002.

For a given postcode you only need to search for house numbers 0 to 9, to match them all (unless you have house names of course, in which case I presume 26 searches from A to Z would do it).

Reply to
Andy Burns

My house appears to have the same installation certificated twice :/

Reply to
Chris

I am not going to say it.

Reply to
ARW

Can I have one of them?

Reply to
bert

Stupid site can't cope with a postecode entered as "ab12cd", it certainly insists on the space, may even be fussy about case.

I can't see how they justify the £12 charge for a copy either, apart from lining their pockets.

When did FENSA come into existance again?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wonder if there's also a noddy (incorrect) postocode parser in there too. What does it say for E1W 3AJ (for example). Yes, it's a real postcode. Yes, I've worked on dodgy code that refused to allow it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That's when Part L came into force so it seems likely you will not find anything earlier.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I assume 2002?

Reply to
Tim Watts

It says the same for my house. I had some new windows fitted in 2002 and in 2009 - but they were both part of larger buildings projects which got Building Regs sign-off - not just window replacements. Should I have had FENSA certificates anyway, or is the BR sign-off sufficient?

Reply to
Roger Mills