FENSA Certificate

What are the implications of not having a certificate? Out house was bult with wooden double glazed windows (No certificate then) Over the last couple of years I have had 5 windows replaced with UPVC framed double glazing with thermal glass. However, it was several cash in hand jobs and no certificates were offered or sought. In the unlikely event of selling the house, what might this mean? Could I say that I have reduced to price to allow the new buyer to have FENSA certified frames fitted? Could I get some document from the (reputable) frame makers? What are the issues?
DerbyBorn wrote:

No, they can't certify the fitting, only give a declaration that the frames/glazing meet the standards, so not the same thing.

Someone might ask to see them, and you'll have to say you have no certificates because some windows didn't need one, and others haven't got one.
Anyone who can look at the windows, see they aren't falling out, do have the kite-mark to show they're toughened if appropriate would be a fool to walk away from buying a house due to a worthless bit of paper.
You *could* get a retrospective building regulations inspection done, they may want to see evidence that cavity-closers, lintels etc were installed where needed, or you could get "lack of building regulations indemnity" policy for a few quid.
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 15:32:32 +0100, Andy Burns

I'm exactly in this situation, buying a house where "the builder" doesn't believe in certification!

New glass door and no markings at all!

Which carries the risk of not being passed

And so many exclusion clauses that in practice it become worthless eg the one I saw precludes any work being carried out on the premises that will cause the invitation of a building inspector - so no new bathroom then.
My solicitor of a relatively small local firm points out that in the past 5 or so years they've placed around ?300k in indemnity insurance of one sort or another and neither the firm nor any of the colleagues in any other firm have ever encountered a claim.
Still - my vendor has offered to pay for such indemnity and as it goes with the property it saves me a bit of a headache further down the line but otherwise I am advised to consider it meaningless.
--
AnthonyL

On 02/10/2015 12:45, AnthonyL wrote:

Who cares anyway, there is an <ahem> window of opportunity for enforcement of building regs, and once past, there is nothing they can do unless imminent damage to life or someone else's property are likely.

I am sure its a nice little earner for both the insurers and the solicitors in the form of commissions.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Friday, 2 October 2015 12:46:01 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:

That's because there never has been a claim made - no local authority has * ever* served an injunction (the action required after 12 months and hence w hy insurance cover requires the work to be this old). The legislation sits completely untested.
Mathew
On 01/10/2015 15:21, DerbyBorn wrote:

Wait until it becomes an issue - if it does - when you come to sell the house. Then say that you've lost the certificate and that the company which did the work is no longer in business. Unless there are any obvious problems with the windows, the lack of certificate is unlikely to affect the sale. If it *does* there are - as others have said - various indemnity insurance policies which you can buy for not very much.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Roger Mills wrote:

That won't wash, FENSA keeps a copy of certificates, searchable by postcode and house number
<http://www.fensa.co.uk/asp/certificate.asp
On 01/10/2015 16:27, Andy Burns wrote:

That's interesting - my house doesn't have any certificates and I still bought it ;)
On 01/10/2015 17:04, Richard Conway wrote:

When were the windows fitted?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Last year and next week.

Sorry but we cannot match that search data! Mind it was 20 years ago.
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

The oldest certificate I can find down my road is 2002.
For a given postcode you only need to search for house numbers 0 to 9, to match them all (unless you have house names of course, in which case I presume 26 searches from A to Z would do it).
On 01/10/15 21:21, Andy Burns wrote:

That's when Part L came into force so it seems likely you will not find anything earlier.
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 21:06:55 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

still

Stupid site can't cope with a postecode entered as "ab12cd", it certainly insists on the space, may even be fussy about case.
I can't see how they justify the £12 charge for a copy either, apart from lining their pockets.

When did FENSA come into existance again?
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 00:39:10 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I wonder if there's also a noddy (incorrect) postocode parser in there too. What does it say for E1W 3AJ (for example). Yes, it's a real postcode. Yes, I've worked on dodgy code that refused to allow it.
On 02/10/15 00:39, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I assume 2002?

Yes, April 2002. (I got mine done in Feb 2002, to avoid it all.) There may have been a 3 month grace period for orders already placed, but it has never been taken very seriously - lack of certificates doesn't seem to mean anything. Solicitors always ask, but 'no' as an answer seemed perfectly OK for several friends who have been in this position.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Have you got a certificate to prove that?

Don't need one.
(Actually, I have the guarantee which would serve, but it's not necessary. Also, the glazing spacers do all say Feb/02 on them, except one which shattered a couple of years ago.)
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 01/10/2015 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:

It says the same for my house. I had some new windows fitted in 2002 and in 2009 - but they were both part of larger buildings projects which got Building Regs sign-off - not just window replacements. Should I have had FENSA certificates anyway, or is the BR sign-off sufficient?
--
Cheers,
Roger