[OT] The three Rs

From the BBC:

School Standards Minister Nick Gibb said: "Today's results show sustained progress in reading, writing and maths and are a testament to the hard work of teachers and pupils across England.

Thanks to their commitment and our new knowledge-rich curriculum, thousands more children will arrive at secondary school having mastered the fundamentals of reading, writing and maths, giving them the best start in life."

What is going on? Surely anyone reading this, or at least the over 50s, arrived at secondary school already having mastered the fundamentals of reading, writing and maths? Are we really trying to improve, just to get back to where we were 50+ years ago?

Reply to
Graeme

Yes.

And some of us arrived at junior school already able to read.

Reply to
Huge

Yes. Also worth remembering is that with current level of immigration to this country reading and writing in ENGLISH could well be an issue for their children.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Yup. It's that Gimmegration.

Reading is not required, only memorising the Koran.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I blame "progressive ideas. Many years ago I attended my daughters open night, to be told that they no longer taught the alphabet by rote. How will they look up words in a dictionary then? Silence! these were "educated" university graduates!

Reply to
Broadback

Quite. And that was *all* the class of 40 or so. With just the one teacher, apart from PE, etc.

Even the least able still managed to read and write OK by then.

In my particular year, just over half passed the 11 plus. So not all super bright.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Doubtless to the disgust of teachers ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's not maths, anyway. It's sums.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Far as I know, everyone did, back in the day.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not in 1971 ...

I was sent to play in the sandpit while (some) others learned to read.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

All the immigrants I know are working really hard on improving their English - even the ones who never learned to read or write in any of their other languages.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And 50 years ago kids did sums in £ s d, none of this decimal nonsense .

In last year of Junior School (7-11) we moved on to fountain pens -- biros were not allowed (but Berol rollerballs were).

We were expected to read, write, do sums, etc on arrival at Junior School, not secondary.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Wasn't an issue in 1954. Then, when I joined the junior school a bit after the others, I had to go straight from writing single letters in pencil to joined up writing in ink - with inkwells in the desk.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And if Our Dave gets his way, we'll all be learning Uglification.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's the way it should be but who is teaching them and who is paying. If it's like wot it was like when I was a skool then during the English classes was when they (the immigrants of the time) were learning English, while the British kids played with pens or just got bored as they had learnt that English a year or so before.

Reply to
whisky-dave

We were the first class to switch to ball points, and the first class to be taught exclusively metric from day one of school. I can still remember our form teacher saying how lucky we were, as older kids had to learn metric alongside imperial.

Which is why I refuse to listen to anyone younger than me lamenting metrication.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The percentage 'passing the 11+' (ie selected for the grammar) depended on the availability of grammar school places. When I was assessed as an

11+ failure the pass rate was 18%. I was failed, incidentally, because I was 'disruptive'. I know all this because I had two aunts who were teachers and they played hell.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Should we be blaming Phoneyetics?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

In message , Tim Streater writes

Well, yes. I sometimes lament my parents not playing with me as a child, in the sense of getting down on the floor with Dinky Toys, train set etc. However, I do remember my mother spending a lot of time helping me with jigsaws, reading and the like. Rupert, Noddy. Anything to get me reading before school.

Reply to
Graeme

s were not allowed (but Berol rollerballs were).

, not secondary.

Quite. I learnt fractions pre-school.

NT

Reply to