Rotting dishwasher rack

Any tips on how best to deal with this:
https://flic.kr/p/Ga8Xrb
(dishwasher wire rack plastic coating perished, rusting)
--
Cheers, Rob

On 12/02/2018 20:56, RJH wrote:

Assuming you don't want to replace it...
Clean off loose rust & plastic.
Treat with 'Kurust'.
Coat in Epoxy- JB Weld is grey and is better at temperature- checking you get a good overlap and coverage.
On Monday, 12 February 2018 21:06:01 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:

have you ever tried doing that? I don't think you'd succeed
NT

Araldite applied in 2008 over rusting around a weld in our rack was still solid last night.
--
Robin
"Robin" wrote in message wrote:

Grit blast all the plastic until the entire thing is bare rust free metal and have it re-dipped. But to be perfectly honest you'd do better to grit your teeth and buy a replacement.
Andrew

No, I've not had seen the problem.
On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 19:02:06 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:

The rust points go very deep, with the metal all splaying out. I think one would need to heat the whole thing to above boiling to get all remaining wa ter out of the many rusted areas, then somehow hope to seal the epoxy onto failing plastic coating as well as the piles of rust. It might be doable, b ut certainly not as simple as glooping some epoxy on.
I expect pickling & hot dip galv would work, don't know what it would cost.
NT
RJH wrote:

plastidip?
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 22:23:47 +0000

That was my response too, but I wonder how far the corrosion has reached under the coating. It might be worth stripping it all, shot blasting and powder coating, rather than patching it up and have the patches fail.
On 13/02/2018 04:12, Rob Morley wrote:

Thanks - that looks the type of thing.

I was thinking in terms of cutting it back to good metal, then coating the exposed metal with maybe a primer followed by plastidip suggestion:
https://www.plastidip.co.uk/shop/plastidip/plasti-dip
Goes to 93C, so should be OK.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 13/02/2018 07:59, RJH wrote:

Not in a dishwasher. You would need something that can take 100+C.
On 14/02/2018 21:35, Fredxx wrote:

Our dishwasher doesn't go over 60.
Andy
On 15/02/2018 20:40, Vir Campestris wrote:

The drying phase takes mine much, much higher.
Do your contents come out wet?

I’m sure you’re right, but not every dishwasher uses such high temperatures. Our Fisher Paykel twin drawer dishwasher uses relatively low temperature fan driven warm air to do the drying. You can open it at any time and it’s never really hot like our previous dishwashers were.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

I once got a frame like that coated in something for a friend, not having a dishwasher myself, from a plating company we used ourselves. I'm just trying to recall what was done. I believe it was blasted to remove all paint, then etched to remove rust, then anodised... or a similar process for the material it was made of, though it might have been dipped in some coating I do not recall now. Whatever it was it outlasted his dishwasher, and so my thoughts on these racks, though most these days are crappy plastic, is that the standard of coating put on when new is rubbish. Brian
--
----- -
On 12/02/18 20:56, RJH wrote:

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1223445/dishwasher-upper-basket-insert?pageNumber=2&PartTypeId 40
its shoes.

Ah thanks, yes. £24 though. I'll have a go at mending first.
The fact they rust in the first place is a bit rubbish. It (Siemens mid range) is only about 5 years old and not had heavy use.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 13/02/18 08:03, RJH wrote:

Dishwashers today have a service life of 3 years before they break and 5 years before they are BER.
Welcome to the Brave nEU world
--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."
On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 08:20:19 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

sert?pageNumber=2&PartTypeId40

Previous one lasted from 86 to 17, 31 years.
NT

You see. That was presumably made 36 years ago, before we joined the 'common market'