Upper dishwasher rack screaches

I have a 3-year-old Whirlpool dishwasher with an annoying problem. When the top rack is half filled, it screaches when it's moved in and out. I checked to be sure that the screws are tight and even tightened a few. I would like to avoid a service call for something like this since it should be something I can fix myself. The problem is that I don't know what else to do and I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions. I haven't taken it out completely and I will if there's no other way to fix it. Thanks, Myrna

Reply to
Myrna

I'd make a WAG that something like a plastic roller has broken or fallen out of place and metal to metal contact is occurring where it shouldn't.

If you can determine by ear that the noise is coming from just one side, compare the extention mechanism on the noisy side with the one on the quiet side and see if you can spot any physical differences.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Assuming something isn't really missing, or broken (roller, etc.) try a little waterproof silicon grease on the slide, and the roller's bearing.

Reply to
professorpaul

...and food grade.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid