dishwasher rack

How is the best way to remove a rust spot on a dishwasher (Maytag) rack?

Do I need to scrape off rust before applying any coating?

Thanks.

Reply to
trailer

I would not contradict the package directions.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If the spot is rusted all the way through then you can slip heat shrinkable tubing over it and shrink it. This is what I did. I scraped as much rust as I could off first.

I finally replaced my rusting Maytag dishwasher racks. They were expensive, about $85 each. But I had done as much as I could trying to remove rust, and enough of the tines had fallen off that it was reducing the amount of stuff I could put in.

Here's what I got (even though it says Whirlpool it was for a Maytag):

ApplianceZone.com Items 1 Dishwasher Upper Rack - 99002038 (Whirlpool) @ $85.71 = $85.71 1 Dishwasher Lower Rack - 99002387 (Whirlpool) @ $82.75 = $82.75

I was going to just replace the dishwasher, but after I went shopping for dishwashers with similar features, and found that even on sale it would cost at least $550, I decided to gamble that the current model will last long enough to make the new racks a worthwhile purchase. If I get two more years out of the dishwasher I'll be happy.

ApplianceZone.com was the cheapest place I could find for the racks. Shipping was only $7.95.

I'm tempted to coat the new racks to make them last longer. Once the rust starts to appear in one place, you can be sure that it's already started rusting many other places.

Reply to
SMS