rotary brush device on vacuum cleaner

It's that fitting on the end of the vacuum cleaner tube that uses the movement of air into the tube to rotate a brush, via a paddle-wheel thing. It barely works. When in contact with the carpet it stops. It's a fundamentally crap idea. Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that has the rotary brush propelled properly, by a motor?
Bill

Yeah, plenty of the big upright ones do.
https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/0/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/o/powerlifter-pet.jpg
On 14/02/2017 02:25, Bill Wright wrote:

Our Henry turbo one works on carpet, but you do need to keep it clean.
Upright is the obvious answer - they pretty much all do what you're after. They still need looking after, but some are probably less likely to break belts than others.
Some make electric brush heads for cylinder cleaners. Eg
https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/floorheads-and-nozzles-2203.htm?mat 250740&name=SEB_216-2

That head on our Dyson DC35 handheld is powered by a motor. The tube is rigid and contains the cabling. Although for the most part one would use an upright on carpeting, there are times when it's simply more convenient to use the handheld.
Some Dysans used to do this but the hose is then quite expensive of course having to have wires for the low voltage motor in it. Also the ones that revolve with air do seem to lose their frictionless operation very quickly and get bunged up with the muck the beating tends to liberate. the best vacuum for beating and brushing had to be the vintage Hoover Juniors, though you needed a good stock of belts which shredded a lot since they were not only in the suction path but drove through a 90 degree w twist and slipped if something stalled the brush. Brian
--
----- -

The whole point of the suction driven brushes is surely that you can use them on chairs and other off ground areas. They're not intended for doing the floor are they?
--
Chris Green
·

Well if they are they are no good. The narrow ones sort of work but the full width one reduce the suction so much you liberate stuff and it just lies on the carpet. Only the hoovers seemed to work, as they were epright cleaners. I had a panasonic one but its belt was way too slack. they should have used a toothed one to get it to work.
My vax is just a stand by now since its lost some suction but there appears to be no bunged up bits. I suspect there is something a bit naff inside the compressor bit itself due to poor filtering. Brian
--
----- -
Chris Green wrote:

Err, yes they're for use on carpets.

Well I've never used ours on a carpet, I use the vacuum in normal upright mode for that. The suck driven brush (that came as part of the upright's accessories) I use on upholstery etc. I think it's actually *called* an upholstery brush.
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green wrote:

Does the upright section not have a rotating brush?

Mine's a cylinder, not upright, the standard floor head is the turbo brush (as mentioned earlier some models have electro brushes) it also came with a soft bristle head for wood floors.
<https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/floorheads-and-nozzles-2203.htm?mat 250020&name=STB_205-2>
writes

Dyson DC05 Animal would suck off anything.
--
bert

You need more suck Bill. We have a couple of the 'suck powered' brushes and the work well.
--
Chris Green
·

On 14/02/2017 02:25, Bill Wright wrote:

I've got a bag-less machine which came from Lidl which has a vacuum-driven rotary brush and that works fine provided the filters are cleaned regularly in order to make sure that there's plenty of suck.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 10:15:22 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Same here with the Henry.
On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 2:25:23 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

Miele do a few
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
but why they call it a tooth brush beats me
On 14/02/17 02:25, Bill Wright wrote:

I was in Canada in the early 70s. I was surprised to see several cylinder vacuum cleaners available with precisely the sort of electric motor-powered head you are referring to. I often wondered if it was a matter of safety (120 vs 240V) that stopped them being made available in the UK.
--

Jeff

Most of the ones I've come across seem to use a dc motor or some kind of speed controlled motor like on Dysans hand held ones. The wiring in the flexible hose is often the weak link. Some bright individual put a battery powered one on the market but it was so heavy on the end of the thing that it made using it a real pain. Briajn
--
----- -

'It beats as it sweeps as it cleans'
Worked perfectly for years and years until someone wanted to re-invent the wheel.
--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

    Yes, my 1930s one would beat an eggbox to death and consume it! I replaced it in a moment of folly.
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 02:25:21 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

I've not come across any uprights that haven't had a driven beater bar. The battery powered Dyson V6 does as well and probably it's variants.
--
Cheers
Dave.