Roller Shutter Door

Maybe a daft question!

I have an aluminimum roller shutter door I bought through eBay. It is manual and has a spring down the centre of the "roll".

I have now fixed the brackets to the wall and looking how it will unroll, for my purposes it will be the wrong way round i.e. the outer face will face into the garage.

Is there any reason I can't lay the door on the floor, totally unroll it, unpin/unbolt it from the roller and then turn it around so that I have the face I want facing outwards?

Does that make sense?

(In other words this looks like it was designed to go inside the garage and I only have space to hang it outside.)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

None that I know of will last long outside in the weather for long.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why not just turn the whole thing round?

Reply to
harry

No immediate answer to your query, but when I looked at roller doors for our garage a few years ago I realised that they require significant headroom and depth within the garage to get them to fit. Even if you succeed in fitting it, the mechanism will be exposed to the weather and will rapidly deteriorate, let alone looking ugly.

If you try and unroll the door on the floor to reverse it, two points: first, the spring in the mechanism will be fully wound, storing a lot of energy and potentially dangerous if you accidentally release it; you could lose fingers. You'd also have trouble re-tensioning it. Second, the design of the door may be that it only flexes/rolls one way IYSWIM, and won't flex/roll the other way when you reverse it.

Put it back on eBay!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Peter,

Check that that the 'hinge action' between individual slats is happy bending 'the other way'. I had two heavy galvanised steel ones at my last place - both bought s/h. Due to the way the edges of the slats had been cupped together, one would reverse bend and the other wouldn't . The one that wouldn't had significantly more curvature to the slat.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

All,

Thanks for the advice so far.

The door won't actually be outside, it's protected by a carport. If I just turn it around then the door will unroll away from the front face, where I need it to unroll down the front face.

I'll unroll it on the drive and see if it will bend both ways!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I'd be careful when releasing the spring. The spring on ours is very strong and releasing it requires care.

Reply to
fred

puffernutter submitted this idea :

I have a powered roller. It was designed to install inside the garage, or outside. The slats in the roll are only able to bend one way and I suspect yours will be the same.

Fitted inside, it just needs the large square mounting brackets. Fitted outside, it requires those brackets plus a full width top cover to keep the weather out.

Why would you want to reverse the slats, is one side a different colour?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Different colour and locking mechanism will be on the inside. The roller in under a car port, so weather is not an issue.

I'll have to investigate this a bit further....

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

A photo or two might help.

Reply to
GB

Problem solved, or more accurately, problem now identified!

It is non-reversible, so I am stuck with it the way it is! I can either build out 16" to take the runners or see what sort "S" bend the door will run through and try and get it flush to the face of the garage.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter